CNC Milling Grado Cups?
Feb 28, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #17 of 23
Here's what I've been working on in the last week. I'm gonna try to get them done here in Canada, but could appreciate the help of the OP if interested
biggrin.gif

Laurent

Feb 28, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #18 of 23
If I remember correctly Grado did a lot of research to find the proper alloy. They mentioned a particular "porosity" to reduce ringing. I know that you are anxious to use your skills, but it sounds like a lot of trial & error to come up with the right materials. Why not experiment with different types of wood? At least, with most, you will be in the ballpark regarding resonance & I think they would look more exotic anyway. Wood Mikarta is a composite of linen sheets bonded with epoxy,(I think) very dense & very attractive & would be a good material!

Have fun
kev

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #19 of 23
Arrin, I can't imagine any reason why metal could not sound as good as wood (or better) in this application. There are some very costly speakers being built with machined aluminum enclosurers, and xylophones are made with hardwoods due to the tendency of woods to ring when subjected to an impact. (I don't think you could build a xylophone out of aluminum. Don't know for sure, though.)

I think you should do it.

I look forward to some pics posted of the project.

May 26, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #20 of 23
7075-T6 aluminium alloy- strong and hard (compared to other Al alloys), cnc'ed to shape then shot peened with 5 micron glass media would look nice. The peening would give a good matt finish and close the grain up nicely to prevent intergranular or filliform corrosion setting in. Polished Al dulls down too quickly and you would be forever polishing it.

If some one has the dimensions sketched out i could autocad them up and get some billet machined out.

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #22 of 23
I would think that titanium cups would be the thing you really want.
Lighter and less resonant than all other metals.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #23 of 23

Quote:
7075-T6 aluminium alloy- strong and hard (compared to other Al alloys), cnc'ed to shape then shot peened with 5 micron glass media would look nice. The peening would give a good matt finish and close the grain up nicely to prevent intergranular or filliform corrosion setting in. Polished Al dulls down too quickly and you would be forever polishing it.

If some one has the dimensions sketched out i could autocad them up and get some billet machined out.

are you serious Nick? i'm dead keen to get some CNC for my dac and speaker baffles done. I can get most of the way there I reckon, but could use someone to proof my work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back