CNC CMOY Case and project....
Oct 26, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #31 of 74
i think it's a cool idea, but you're spending so much time to make an awesome case-- it would be ashame to ignore the layout of the circuit, esp. since it's going to be plexiglas..

ooh!Q what about a plexiglas component holder on the inside? like a thin sheet of it with predrilled holes for the leads or something. that'd be cool.

Oct 26, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #32 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by velmeran42
None taken, I would definitely classify this as an unusual project. My projects tend to be fairly out there, but that's the point. I'm trying to use this project to showcase some of my skills that a company might find useful above and beyond my basic mechanical engineering ones, since I'm graduating this quarter. I view this project as a sort of "portfolio piece". I'm also building an Alien DAC as soon as the board shows up (not nearly so ambitious really, only hard part is the main IC), it too will receive a nice aluminum home assuming shop time permits.

Well, it's certainly a useful skill as an ME, I can attest to that. I would've thought Boeing sucked up all the ME's in your area, though.

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #33 of 74
So when do we get to see it...?
600smile.gif

Oct 26, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #34 of 74
at least 6 more days as he said he won't be able to do it for at least a week. =T that was yesterday.

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #35 of 74
Dang, I like pictures... I have nearly completed an amp overnight... a 60 watt per channel LM4780, just drew the reference PCB on some offcut... and started soldering an hour or 2 later... tommorrow I will get materials and finish the case....

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #36 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordic
tommorrow I will get materials and finish the case....

Not sure why you're talking about a gainclone in this thread of all places (I guess I mentioned mine somewhere up above), but since you say you like pictueres, here's a pic of my snubberized LM3875 case.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #39 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksilver96
Sorry to threadjack, but I WANT that wood. Quilted maple? Lemme know, I'm curious.

Good eye man, it is indeed quilted maple. I picked it up locally at woodcraft. I still have some smallish chunks laying around if you'd be interested in them (I'll have to find them though).

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #40 of 74
Alright, it's been some time since my last update. I finally managed to get some time in the shop today. My schedule this quarter really doesn't allow me to make it into the shop very well, on top of that this last week was midterms and midterm projects / papers. Toss on top of that a few job interviews and follow up interviews (and a few job offers to sort through now....
cool.gif
).... Anyhow I've been BUSY to no end for the last several days.

Today I spent about two hours in the shop cutting out my stock, squaring it up, cutting it to size and doing some bulk material removal. Not nearly as far along as I'd like to be (although we don't even officially start the project until next week)
rolleyes.gif
. So just to show I haven't completely forgotten about the project, here's two shiny, shelled out chunks of Al.

Not much to look at yet, but hey, I only had two hours to set up, cut, and clean up my mess.

Nov 10, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #41 of 74
Nice! Looking Good
cool.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #43 of 74
Interesting toolpath you used.. is that a 1 inch centercutting EM? also, did you do a finish pass?

Or did you do that on a manual mill, in which case I salute you =p

Nov 10, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #44 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by threepointone
just wondering, where did you get that lipo+protection board from? how does it charge / is it also regulated? How will it turn itself off when the li-ion batteries reach a critical low voltage?
LiPos can become very, very scary if you don't use them properly

The pack was purchased from Batteryspace with the protection already wired up. It is charged with an intelligent charger. The connection I'm using is a 2.5mm mono jack with a sleeve shunt and plug (rated at 1A @ 12V, I'm only pushing .5A). The protection PCB will cut the cells at 7.8V (2.6V x 3). I agree LiPos are somewhat scary, in fact I'm thinking of putting an overpressure solution in my case (ok, just a through hole filled with some silicone hidden under the clip to prevent any high pressure build up in case of failure)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
Interesting toolpath you used.. is that a 1 inch centercutting EM? also, did you do a finish pass?

Or did you do that on a manual mill, in which case I salute you =p

That was a 0.500" centercutting EM on the Trak 2 axis using the rectangular pocket feature. No finish pass on the pocket, in fact it wasn't even a climb cut (forget to tell it to go CCW, CW is default). The outside cuts were done with a 1" centercutting EM w/ attention to cutting direction and a 0.005" finish pass at 10ipm.

It's really nice having nice machines available to play with. I'll have to stop by the university every so often to say hi after I graduate.....

Nov 10, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #45 of 74
While we're on the machining aspect, anybody know where I can get a small EM with at least a 0.375" flute that is <0.125" diameter? I've been looking at http://www.harveytool.com and they seem to have some rather small carbide EMs (down to 0.055") that might fit the bill, but I don't know how good they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back