CMSS-3D
May 3, 2006 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

humanflyz

Headphoneus Supremus
Man, CMSS-3D in the X-Fi really really blows. I accidentally turned it on my mistake, and it added some truly horrifying bass distortion into my system. I was listening to Packt Like Sardines in a Crushed Tin Box by Radiohead, and I couldn't believe how much bass distortion there was. I was freaked out for a good half an hour, because I thought my PPX3 was seriously messed up. After another half an hour of tube-rolling to no avail, I decided to check my soundcard settings. Right after I disabled CMSS-3D, BAM! The distortion is gone.

So what's my point: don't use CMSS-3D!

May 3, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 5
I know what CMSS-3D is. I was just pointing out that in my system, it added a huge distortion that is more than discernable to me.

But maybe other people don't have this problem, and in that case, just treat my original post as a rant.

May 5, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
Man, CMSS-3D in the X-Fi really really blows. I accidentally turned it on my mistake, and it added some truly horrifying bass distortion into my system. I was listening to Packt Like Sardines in a Crushed Tin Box by Radiohead, and I couldn't believe how much bass distortion there was. I was freaked out for a good half an hour, because I thought my PPX3 was seriously messed up. After another half an hour of tube-rolling to no avail, I decided to check my soundcard settings. Right after I disabled CMSS-3D, BAM! The distortion is gone.

So what's my point: don't use CMSS-3D!

Yes, CMSS-3D blows for music, and so does that crystallizer thing. I simply have all the "extras" disabled and the sound is better that way.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 5
the cmss 3d really boosts the digital signal somehow and causes bad clipping..u can see it go way into the red on the monitor in audio creation mode. i bring the volume on the card down and it cleans up the distortion. i still dont like cmss 3d in music though..sounds kinda weird. it is good for movies and great for games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back