CmoyyBB v2.02 and DIY Amp questions
Aug 27, 2010 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chrisisnapping

New Head-Fier
hey all, long time reader, first time thread starter.

I recently built my second cmoybb v2.02 for learning purposes, with this particular cmoy I have this issue where the volume ONLY adjust the right channel, the left channel stays at the same volume (moderately loud) the whole way around. What would cause this issue? I didn't notice it last night when I was troubleshooting it after the build, but now that it's in the altoids tin and I'm listening to it at work I notice it. Could it be just a bad grounding problem? Also, I tried to use a fiio LOD from my Ipod classic (160GB) and well on minimal settings I couldn't even put the RE2 or RE0s in my ears without fear of going death, could this too be associated with a bad grounding problem somewhere in the POT?

Also, after completing 2 cmoys, I have the DIY itch, what should my next project(s) be? I'm looking at something between the 40-125$ cost of materials realm for my next amp/dac, any recommendations for a beginner?

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
hey all, long time reader, first time thread starter.

I recently built my second cmoybb v2.02 for learning purposes, with this particular cmoy I have this issue where the volume ONLY adjust the right channel, the left channel stays at the same volume (moderately loud) the whole way around. What would cause this issue? I didn't notice it last night when I was troubleshooting it after the build, but now that it's in the altoids tin and I'm listening to it at work I notice it. Could it be just a bad grounding problem? Also, I tried to use a fiio LOD from my Ipod classic (160GB) and well on minimal settings I couldn't even put the RE2 or RE0s in my ears without fear of going death, could this too be associated with a bad grounding problem somewhere in the POT?

Also, after completing 2 cmoys, I have the DIY itch, what should my next project(s) be? I'm looking at something between the 40-125$ cost of materials realm for my next amp/dac, any recommendations for a beginner?

Thanks!

I can't say much about your first problem, except that you should check your PCB carefully for shorts.

As for your second question, do you want a portable or a desktop system? For the former, try a Mini^3 build; for the latter, you can try something like the Starving Student Millett Hybrid 12AU7 with P2P.

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 5
yea, i am still trying to decide if i want a table top or a portable amp. As of now 90% of my music listening is sitting at a desk at work or at home, so perhaps the Starving student may be the better option. The only thing about the starving student is that I heard it doesn't play nicely with some DAC, is there any validity to that? If so any suggestions on what DAC I should use with it?

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
yea, i am still trying to decide if i want a table top or a portable amp. As of now 90% of my music listening is sitting at a desk at work or at home, so perhaps the Starving student may be the better option. The only thing about the starving student is that I heard it doesn't play nicely with some DAC, is there any validity to that? If so any suggestions on what DAC I should use with it?

Thanks!

The Starving Student has been known to cause issues with the BantamDAC, the AlienDAC and the Gamma 1.  We've not had reports of issues with the GrubDAC, but caution is advised.

All that said, the focus is on the original power supply used in the Starving Student.  If the 12AU7 version uses a different power supply, then you should be OK.

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 5

Before I venture into building the starving student, I should ask, is it overkill for IEMs? Specifically RE0s? Is it more suited for headphones? This isn't a deal breaker, but it's something i would like to get cleared up. Thanks!

Quote:
The Starving Student has been known to cause issues with the BantamDAC, the AlienDAC and the Gamma 1.  We've not had reports of issues with the GrubDAC, but caution is advised.

All that said, the focus is on the original power supply used in the Starving Student.  If the 12AU7 version uses a different power supply, then you should be OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back