Cmoy's power: 12v?
Feb 28, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by coyote65
hi there,
does cmoy can work with 12v without problems?
I'm thinking to power it with car 12v plug...

Advices?

Not an expert on these things , however from some dealings with builders I think it is somewhat opamp dependent. Most small amps run off between 3 and 18V, though my classic runs off 24V but it is not technically a portable like the cMoy. I would also wonder if you could guarantee that your car supply was reliable enough to deliver a smooth supply. Possibly you might do better asking the builder or asking this question on the DIY forum

Feb 28, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
Not an expert on these things , however from some dealings with builders I think it is somewhat opamp dependent. Most small amps run off between 3 and 18V, though my classic runs off 24V but it is not technically a portable like the cMoy. I would also wonder if you could guarantee that your car supply was reliable enough to deliver a smooth supply. Possibly you might do better asking the builder or asking this question on the DIY forum

I used the default op-amp and have operated at both 9V and 18V (one or two 9V batteries) and both have been just fine for me. I guess sometimes more voltage makes things sound better or smoothes out possible problems? Anyhow, 12V should be a fine amount to power the CMoy, but like hciman77 said, you'd probably want to look in to how smooth the power actually is.

Feb 28, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 6
My cmoy with opa134 runs at 9v but i tested it with 12V (transformer ac-dc) at breadboard and worked without problems.

Feb 28, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 6
to be absolutely sure, what voltage is possible, open your cmoy and check (a) model of opamp, (b) voltage-rating of the caps used. search for the opamp's datasheet: maximal voltage. but 12v should be no problem. in some cases even 24v would work without damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back