CMOY vs. PA2V2
Nov 21, 2005 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bbdollar

Banned
Alright, this forum has convinced me that I absolutely need an amp to add to my portable set-up. Narrowed it down to two in my price range; a CMOY mint-tin amp (would buy one off Head-Fi), or a PA2V2. Which amp is your preference, and why?

I know I'm already leaning towards the PA2V2 because it takes AA's, but I've heard that a CMOY will sound much better.

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 9
PA2V2. Go go go!

Nov 22, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbdollar
Alright, this forum has convinced me that I absolutely need an amp to add to my portable set-up. Narrowed it down to two in my price range; a CMOY mint-tin amp (would buy one off Head-Fi), or a PA2V2. Which amp is your preference, and why?

I know I'm already leaning towards the PA2V2 because it takes AA's, but I've heard that a CMOY will sound much better.

From your avatar...do you own Grados?
IMO, an amp is a WASTE OF TIME.
The improvement is so minimal that it does not warrant an amp,especially one of the lower end models.
Trust me.
Save your money and buy more headphones.

Nov 22, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 9
Usually listen to the Go-Vibe these days but the PA2V2 works surprisingly well with the SR 225. Think I'll be good to myself and pop 'em on when I get home.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 9
I have had both for about two weeks, haven't had a chance to do a proper sound comparison yet. The pa2v2 is certainly better for strapping to an iPod and it also allows recharging without removing the batteries which is a plus.

If you do decide on a pa2v2 you might want to think about asking Gary for a custom case. The standard is about the same width as an iPod but about half as long. I now think having a longer case would make it easier to strap to my iPod for portability.

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 9
I don't own either of these amps, so feel free to disregard this post. But I agree (somewhat) with kwitel's admonition: The SR-80s I had did not by any means need an amp to show their excellent qualities (although I think the HF-1s do need an amp to shine). So if you're principally looking to drive Grados (short of the HF-1 or higher-end models), you might be better served to put your money elsewhere, as the Grados are great on their own, out of many portable sources (many, myself among them, report a great synergy with the Zen Micro audio player). Also, my experience with an entry-level amp (Shellbrook Labs Super Mini Moy, now called the Mini Head) compared to a better portable (Portaphile V2) leads me to believe you might get more oomph for the Grados (when you decide you really need to try an amp) with a little more sophisticated design than a cmoy, the design on which the SMM was roughly based, I believe. That said, I hear very good things about the PA2V2 and the Go-Vibe, so if you're set on trying an entry-level portable, based on reports I've read here, one of those would be the way to go.

Good luck,
Tom

Nov 22, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 9
Here's some pics of my new DIY CMoy and my (custom) PA2V2:

cmoy004medium2bn.jpg

The CMoy was built using Tangent's tutorial with the suggested OPA2132PA op-amp, and put into the PacTec PPL enclosure. The PA2V2 is stock in the sound department, but has a clear faceplate and blue LED. I used two 9V's in the CMoy and the PA2V2 uses two AA's.

I have attached stick-on rubber feet to both (for sitting on my desk), but they also work great against my iPod for portable use. The enclosure I used for the CMoy is actually much more iPod-sized than the super-small PA2V2.

As for sound, I think this has a lot to do with what op-amp is in the CMoy. With the OPA2132PA I find the CMoy has more forward mids, and more 'open-ness', while the PA2V2 is a bit more bass heavy, and dark.

A nice feature of the PA2V2 is the AC charging setup, so you never have to open it up and change the batteries.

If you really want a CMoy I'd suggest trying to build one yourself. Just put in an IC socket so you can roll the op-amps to get the sound you want.

If you really want to buy an amp already made I'd suggest the PA2V2. It is very well made, sounds good, and Gary is great to deal with. It will also be much more durable than any amp in a mint tin.

Nov 22, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for all the help.. I have a PA2V2 on its way now.
biggrin.gif
And about the Grados... I had a pair of SR225s that I just sold, so I'll be picking up a pair of SR60s or SR80s. Is there a considerable difference?

Couldn't keep the 225s because in general I prefer IEMs, but if I get to like the 60/80s maybe I'll re-upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back