Cmoy vs mini3 for HD650
May 29, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd vote for the mini3 and use a dedicated psu rather than the battery. As far as I'm concerned, the Mini3's one of the most powerful "portable" amps I've listened to. The reason why it's "Portable" is that I rarely used it for portability, I wound up using it at a desktop amp at my lab. The SR71A is probably the only one that could drive the hd650's using actual portable power supplies (Batteries not wallwarts). On a side note you could try other DIY amps that use 2 9v batteries, add an opamp socket and you're in business.

yes! I think this is the way to go, although finding a good walwart may be a problem. Elpac did make a very nice one, now discontinued. It's a pity the Mini[size=xx-small]3[/size] wont run off a 24 volt power supply I have a spare "Firestone Supplier" that needs a job.

May 29, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the cmoy with HD650s, then you're really going to like the Mini³.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I never ever used amps before the Cmoy. but when I bought those cans I thought that not buying/making an amp would be just a waste of it's money.
I made the Cmoy, and as I really have never tried better amps before, I thin,k it's the best
biggrin.gif

Yeah I put mini³ there because I already ordered the parts and I'm pretty sure (of what I have read, and comparing the difficulty with that of the Cmoy) that it's alot better then the Cmoy. We'll see how it goes, I have not heard it before.
I decided to make a the MINI³ as a second build because I can still use it's protability. But I'm already ordering parts for my first desktop amp, the Starving Student. Can't wait to start on that as well, and I'm very curious about both MINI³'s and Starving Student's performance. I'm sure it won't dissapoint.

Dries

Users who are viewing this thread

Back