Cmoy volume control mod--seeking advice
Jul 9, 2010 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Meathands

New Head-Fier
Not much of a "mod," really.

Since I could only find linear, dual-gang, 10k pots here in Korea, I am planning using the "better volume control" mod from ESP.  Basically, put a resistor going to ground after the pot to make the linear curve more logarithmic.  I am using a 1.5k resistor.

My question is, does this replace the 100k resistor on the input in the Cmoy schematic?  I am not sure what role that resistor plays in the circuit.  Thanks a lot in advance.

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 4
If you are using a "shunted linear pot" you dont need the 100K ohm input resistor. The shunt resistor replaces it and does the same thing.

The 100Kohm resistor in the Cmoy is there to make sure that the opamp has a ground reference if the wiper of the pot lifts off of the resistive material. Without this resistor things get REALLY bad really fast if this happens.

You should also note that the input impedance of your amp will now vary WIDELY from 10Kohms to as little as 1.5Kohms. It might not matter but its worth remembering.... Some sources cant drive low impedance inputs. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Wasn't aware of the impedance issues.  Is that due to using the linear pot?

It sort of is. Its really due to the 1.5Kohm shunt resistor.

When the volume is set to minimum the whole pot is between source and ground, so input impedance is 10K ohms

When the volume is set to 1/2 spin, 1/2 of the pot's impedance + (1/2pot || 1.5K)=~6Kohms

when the volume is set to max you have 10K || 1.5Kohm=~1.5Kohm.

With an "audio" pot its just the nominal impedance of the pot as normally configured

Using a linear pot without a shunt resistor is possible, but I unless you are very careful (or lucky) matching total system gain it wont work well. Even with the shunt resistor a linear pot winds up with less useful range than an analog pot. Just bear it in mind, and dont hesitate to drop the gain in half or even quarter if you cant spin the knob low enough. A non-shunted linear pot only has about 40db (perhaps a hair less) of useful control range (and a little more with the shunt resistor), where audio pots typically have 50-60db of range. Those extra ~15-20db of range make a lot of difference in systems with lots of gain. (too much IMO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back