CMoy Revisited - with Metallized Polycarbonate & or Metallized Polyester, Conductive Polymer Solid Aluminium & Tantalum Capacitor
Jul 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Boris-Aries

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Just thought to ask everyone about the... yep, you guessed it, the Cap question.

I have found a surplus of the aforementioned capacitors.
The Met. PolyCarbs from:
WIMA (MKC-10), Roederstein & PHILIPS.

The Met. Polyester:
Wima (MKS-2)

The Tantalum:
220uF KEMET (10v)

and the Conductive Polymer Solid Aluminium:
470uF Nippon Chemicon 10v 105c

All at reasonable prices.

I thought to use the CMoy design, since it is the simplest, and thought to ask for peoples opinions before I commence.

Yes, I still do not have a great headphone to test, that is why I am asking opinions.
Btw, I will be following Tangents variation for the layout. The polycarbs are all 0.22uF with voltages ranging from 100v - 630v.

I tried researching for the polycarbonate on the forum, but nearly everything was very old, and no pics left or links dead and some were praising them with nothing much to go on, I decided to start a new thread.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, that the power supply will not be standard Tangent, but my own variation, running a 2x Li-Ion with total voltage available ±9v.

I have heard bad things about the tantalum, but these are of the axial variety. They are expensive on eBay, but getting them NOS very cheap due to a pricing error (unless they are quiting the line...) :-D I can always use them in other projects.

Thanks everyone.

edit: I forgot to ask about Metal Polyphenylene Sulfide. I can get them in 0.22uF & 0.33uF :)

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 11
the kemet will be polymer tantalum, not solid tantalum. big difference. I guess they are orange/yellow and SMD. if so, great low impedance caps for power supply decoupling. those or your other polymers will do nicely decoupling the power supply rails, but no good for signal path. polymer caps are usually pretty bad as far as DC leakage so wont be any good for blocking caps.

forget the polycarbonate, not much good for anything … use the PPS instead of those (polyphenylene sulphide) I would use them over the MKS2 as well, but those arent bad.

the polystyrene are good and if available in suitable values will be great for any signal path parts, just be careful about how much heat you give them as they are quite sensitive to overheating. band limiting at 100kHz is good for most audio applications, we dont want anything up there, very high frequencies only present the possibility of noise or instability through inducing oscillation

good luck!

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi qusp,

Quote:
the kemet will be polymer tantalum, not solid tantalum. big difference. I guess they are orange/yellow and SMD. if so, great low impedance caps for power supply decoupling.

They are actually axial. On eBay, they are anywhere from a couple of $$ each to a very nice sum :)

I got some of them yesterday, and actually found some others while I was there.

I will be posting pics soon, and commenting on what each one is - except for those that will be readable in the pic. I guess I will need now to try out the "image" option in the message area. About time too I guess.
Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated for any other simple design, for where the caps would actually show their "character" would be appreciated, as long as it can be done on stripboard (veroboard) and doesn't need something "exotic".

I do have a few Op-Amps that I can try, it is just that I need to go thru the items I have an make an inventory list :)

Again, thank you qusp and anyone else that would have something nice and constructive to add, oh yes and pointers with suggestions. It has been a few years that I have last been in the audio area of electronics.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 11

From Left to right:
Grey colour: 330nF 100VDC Metal Polyphenylene Sulfide (PPS). Markings: 330nJ100 Brand Evox-Rifa
Blue colour: 0.22uF 100V MKC Philips. Markings: |0.22/10/100 next line: 344 21224
Top Left Red: WIMA MKS 4 1,0uF Markings: same.
Top Right Red: 0.22uF 250VDC  Metallized Polycarbonate (Vishay Roederstein). Markings: Vishay MKC 1862 0147 on top: ,200 K250-
Top Right: As per picture - WIMA MP3-X2 | 1,0 275~ (AC) 40/110/56/C. It is a metallised paper if I remember correctly. Any suggestions for where to use this? I only have 2 of them, since not sure where to use it, or if it would go to waste on a CMOY design.
Bottom Right: As per picture: KEMET 220UF 10V 20% 9721. Tantalum

Close up of the PPS

Close of the:
Nichicon Chemicon - Conductive Polymer Solid Aluminium. Description: 470uf 10V 105º Super Low ESR Capacitor. I think I got the last ones they had of them.
KEMET Tantalum Cap
Wima's and Vishay.

Anyone have any other suggestion on a simple layout that these could come in handy?

Thaks again for reading and suggesting.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
I have a comment on your photography.

I used a scanner to capture this image:

Point taken :wink:

I will do it when I get back home, I will use my ancient scanner, but it should be up to the task :wink: Thank you for the pointer.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 11
nichicon chemicon? hmm first time i've seen chemicon included in the name, maybe ive just not noticed it before. ok those are your main power supply caps. to be quite honest, the only other 2 I would use at all would be the PPS and the polystyrene.

the X2 cap is for mains AC voltage filtering X2 means its rated to be placed across the rails, not an audio cap. its also self extinguishing in case of catching on fire; an admirable quality for a CMOY =)

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 11
I noticed that too...I just figured he was excited and made a little mistake...

Nichicon and United Chemi-con have not formed any partnership that I know of...

Quote:
nichicon chemicon? hmm first time i've seen chemicon included in the name, maybe ive just not noticed it before. ok those are your main power supply caps. to be quite honest, the only other 2 I would use at all would be the PPS and the polystyrene.

the X2 cap is for mains AC voltage filtering X2 means its rated to be placed across the rails, not an audio cap. its also self extinguishing in case of catching on fire; an admirable quality for a CMOY =)

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 11
Here are some more appropriate to your experiment:

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/B32923C3105M/495-2324-ND/778986
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/B32529C105K189/495-2470-1-ND/2615278
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/ECQ-E1105JF/P14633-ND/2567767
https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?catalog=description&nodiapo&id=33&recherche=&numRows=&manufacturiers=&niveau1=1&niveau2=3&niveau3=26&s1=2&s2=3&s3=&s4=
https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?catalog=description&nodiapo&id=1338&recherche=&numRows=&manufacturiers=&niveau1=1&niveau2=3&niveau3=27&s1=2&s2=3&s3=&s4=
https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?catalog=description&nodiapo&id=1350&recherche=&numRows=&manufacturiers=&niveau1=1&niveau2=3&niveau3=28&s1=2&s2=3&s3=&s4=

I threw that last one in there just for fun...

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 11
Hi Avro_Arrow,

Thank you for the links. Just found the second link going to archive.org.
Here is a direct link:
http://web.archive.org/web/20101216133643/http://greygum.net/sbench/sbench102/caps.html

I have saved them for later reading.

I have finally been able to try the scanner, but not that great resaults...
frown.gif
I did try a few different settings, even putting a box on top
tongue.gif

Btw, as for the companies name, that is how they had it listed, and since there is no company name, I am not sure... which one it would be. Oh, on the other hand, I have put a measuring tape.

Geez, don't capitors have a s??y look? hmm...

@ qusp: A very interesting quality indeed... now all that will need to be done to use those, would be to use a LME that works at 200V... up that voltage rating on the other caps, and we can have a Hi-Voltage CMoy
biggrin.gif

Ok, so here is my attempt at using the scanner, it normally scans ok for documents, don't know what happened here... I tried the photo option and a few exposure adjustments.... I may need to try some more settings.

Well I hope this excercise in scanning went well.

Any idea on which easy D.I.Y. layout would be able to show more of a capacitors "character"? Just a thought so I can start fideling with my small supply of various caps. Oh, also, thinking of using the X2... self extinguishing in a "just for the fun of it" CMoy layout, instead of the 0.22uF that the original was designed with. [sarcasm]Do you think it will ruin the audio or characterise it in any substantial way? It is a "paper" cap after all, and paper has a good / popular feed back [/sarcasm] but honestly, I will try to use them - I only have the two - on sockets, so I don't destroy them.

Thanks for all your feedback guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back