CMOY rebuild
Jul 30, 2005 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Blooze

100+ Head-Fier
I've been enjoying my first CMOY so far, but a couple of times the right channel will crackle and get loud enought to hear even with the volume control all the way down. Tracked it to the wire going to the headphone jack. My sh**** soldering job is coming back to haunt me with cold joints there I'm sure (hey, first time in 10-15 years I've soldered and the 2 others I've got 1/2 soldered up are much better now that I've got the hang of it again, but this one is pathetic). Would it be worthwhile to desolder all the parts and put them on a new board? Or since the leads have obviously been all trimmed would it just be a pain trying to solder them back on another board? I rather retire it than to try and fix the solder joint as it is because I'm sure there will be more.

Jul 30, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 5
It's completely do-able; I've done it several times to my first couple of dismal layouts... I did have to solder some some trimmed leads onto the super short ones.
Just be careful about getting the components too hot, and you should be fine.

Jul 31, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 5
Depends on your snip method. If you snip post solder you could be trimming off precious lead length. If you snip pre-solder chances are you're goign to be fine. Desoldering kind of sucks if you don't have the proper tools, IMO, but it can be worth it to give it a go. Worst case is you'll lose a few minutes of your life and you might burn yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

Like the above poster mentioned, be careful of excessive heat to a given component.

Aug 1, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks guys. I will probably try and redo with the parts I have on the board.

Another question : I use this amp with my KSC75's cuz I don't trust my work with the AKG's. These are 60 ohm phones and I'm wondering if just one 9V would suffice. I've got the gain set at 6 on it and with 2 batteries it's plenty loud as I never get it above the 12 oclock mark. I've got 7 hours on this set of batteries and they still are measuring around 17.5 volts.

Aug 2, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 5
Took apart the old CMOY today and built a new one on a new board. Shortened the wires, cut down the number of wires, and rearranged the layout on the tin a little so I could actually get to the opamp to change it if I wanted. Stayed with two batteries as I already had the connectors wired up and reused the old parts. Worked first try! Couldn't believe it!

I really need to try a MINT next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back