CMoy Questions
Jun 20, 2007 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cyrian

Head-Fier
I have pretty much all the stuff i need for making my CMoy, but i had a few questions as to which op-amp i should get? does the op-amp make that huge a difference? or should i try different values for caps instead?

after that i just need a case, but i saw a thread for that already so i'll take a look at that.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 4
the input blocking cap matter a bit. metalized polyester is good, polypropylene is better. maybe you can even left them out all together. if you want good bass response, you should get at least 0.47uF ones. 1uF ones if you want to be sure you don't miss the tiniest bit of bass.

The power supply caps also only matter up to a certain point. get low-esr ones, like the panasonic fm which tangent recommends. 470uF should be reasonable, 1000uF if you want to go big...

the opamp matters most. the opa2132/opa2134 which tangent recommends is IMO a very very bad choice. the soundstage is really limited, it sounds about the same as a medium quality headphone out. the ad823 and ad8066 are good alternatives, they also don't cost that much. some find the ad823 bad, but I think it's quite a good chip, and it draws less power than the ad8066. on the other side, the ad8066 seems to be highly regarded here as a good, not to pricey opamp

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by balou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the opamp matters most. the opa2132/opa2134 which tangent recommends is IMO a very very bad choice.

I agree with this... the 2132PA sounds very bright and harsh compared to the 823...(very humble and non-expert opinion)
I think Tangent says to go with the 2132 for its forgiving nature as an intro to DIY...

Jun 21, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 4
2132 or 2134 is usaually recommended with Cmoy. Not because its sound the best, but because its readily available and stable. There is much better sounding OPs out there with little more price.

There is a lot of other OPs to choose from. They are from $.50 to $20.
People have opinions regarding those OPs. You may or may not agree on what people said. so... buy each of them, and find out what OP you like the best by yourself. That may cost you little more, but you will know what you like. PM me if you want to hear my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back