CMOY question
Jun 18, 2004 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mtbiac

100+ Head-Fier
I have a CMOY (dual 9v) in an altoid tin. I'm REALLy impressed by how much better my sound is on my A900 and e3c headphones. However, It only lasts for a few days usage on batt power. Is there a way to modify it to plug into an AC outlet or something (US standard)?? I dont really have enough money to buy a cheap home-amp yet...

thanks for the suggestions

Jun 18, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 18
If you look around, ie Radio Shack, there are plug in power supplies that have a 9 volt adapter on them. That should work for you. I haven't bought one in a while but they're probably between $8-15.
Hope it works for you.

Jun 18, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 18
how would I go about hooking that up if I have 2 9v connectors though? thanks for the idea
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 18
The cleanest, best-sounding power you can give to your cmoy is two Plainview rechargable NiMH 9v batteries. Then, when they are spent, just recharge them, and keep running. With two sets of two Plainviews, you don't have to wait to recharge the spent ones to keep running. www.thomas-distributing.com is a great place to get the Plainviews and a recharger. It's a bit of an investment up front ($10 per Plainview + $20-$30 for the charger), but Plainviews can be recharged about 700 times if they are not physically damaged.

Jun 19, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
The cleanest, best-sounding power you can give to your cmoy is two Plainview rechargable NiMH 9v batteries. Then, when they are spent, just recharge them, and keep running. With two sets of two Plainviews, you don't have to wait to recharge the spent ones to keep running. www.thomas-distributing.com is a great place to get the Plainviews and a recharger. It's a bit of an investment up front ($10 per Plainview + $20-$30 for the charger), but Plainviews can be recharged about 700 times if they are not physically damaged.

whoa great idea, I completely forgot about recharable batteries!! Are the plainview much better than something i could get at like homedepot/walmart??

oh and I cant seem to find the Plainviews on that website you recommended- did I do something wrong?

thanks

Jun 22, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbiac
would better use of my money be to buy a <$60 non-portable amp? or would the CMOY with Plainviews produce nearly as good sound but portable and less money...??

Buy the Plainviews, there is no stationary amp I know of in that price range that would sound as good as your CMOY.

Jun 22, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

and if I wanna hookup an LED to my cmoy, would that drain enough battery power to be a waste of effort? and how would I wire it?

You can pretty much set how much current an LED draws by placing a resistor between its negative leg and the battery. You'll need one of these anyway, because otherwise you'll exceed its maximum current capability, and the LED will become an SED* -- Voltage equals current times resistance, and when resistance equals 0, you get a whole lot of current out of 18 volts. On the flip side of that, you'll probably only need a few milliamps of current to make your LED really bright. Most are rated for 20-30 mA, which is probably much brighter than you really need. Lower current means less brightness and less battery drain.
Also, with a CMoy, you probably will want a 3mm LED, unless you're in something bigger than the standard mint tin case.

*smoke-emitting diode

Jun 22, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

whoa great idea, I completely forgot about recharable batteries!! Are the plainview much better than something i could get at like homedepot/walmart??

oh and I cant seem to find the Plainviews on that website you recommended- did I do something wrong?

thanks

plainviews are better than what u will find at walmart. Plainviews output 9.6v while energizer 9v that u find at walmart puts out something like 7.2v. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is just from memory.

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #13 of 18
thanks for the help guys

any idea of what type/resistance resistor i'll need for the LED? I'll probably be buying the parts are Radioshack and am unsure of what i'll need to purchase to install an LED. oh and do they some with mounts or do I have to make one somehow? tips on that?

THANKS!

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

thanks

If you are going to buy 9v NiMH rechargables at a brick and mortar, look for the following: NiMH (not alkaline), 9.6V (not lower), 170mAh (not lower), fast-charge capable, with a lifetime duty cycle capable of 500-100 recharges. All of these characteristics are what make the Plainviews sound so good, so nice to use and maintain and last so long. NiMH affects how they discharge with minimal resistance and minimal voltage fluctuation for smoother sound. 9.6V gives your equipment better power supply to work with at around the 9v threshhold. 170mAh is the capacity of the battery and determines for how long it will power your equipment. Fast-charge capable determines whether you can use them with a fast-charge charger, so that the recharge will take 2-3 hours instead of many more hours. What makes the rechargable economical is the number of recharges it will take. So one with some data behind it showing that it will actually take 500-1000 recharges will actualize the economy you bought it for.

No, you did nothing wrong. It looks like the Plainviews are not available there anymore. The Maha Powerex are electrically equivalent at 9.6V, 170mAh, NiMH, fast-charge capable, rechargables. I use the Maha Powerex "AA" NiMH rechargeables, and they are fine batteries, provinding good sound from audio equipment. The next time I need 9v rechargables, I'll be getting the Maha Powerex from Thomas-distributing rather than looking for Plainviews from another vendor. Since you are using the 9v batteries to power portable amp(s), it makes sense to get the 9.6v batteries. There are opamps commonly used the performance of which "falls off a cliff" at about 9v. One 9.6v rechargeable will hold them above "the cliff". With other rechageables, which are 9.4v, 9v, or even 8.x v, you'll absolutely need two in series.

Thanks for letting me know that the Plainviews are no longer available at Thomas-distributing. I recently bought some from there. I wonder what has happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back