Cmoy project....
Jul 3, 2007 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

eightbitpotion

500+ Head-Fier
Well I received my parts for my cmoy...I've pretty much completely finished it. I do have a couple of questions... since I'm not very electric inclined.... I received an extra battery clip (I ordered what someone posted when I asked what parts I'd need)....so I'm figuring whoever told me to order these parts had the 18v setup...but is there a special way I hook this up? I haven't seen anything online really about the 18v setup
frown.gif
. Also, I have a pack of 47 Ω resisters....for the R5, but I already put a clipping on for the R5 (jumped the gun?)...what exactly would the 47.5 Ω do if I removed the old clippings and use the film for the R5? (I'm trying to find out what this is for)

Also....is there a special case setup to have two 9v? I mean....is there something special I need to do to the board or anything?

I'll take some pictures when I'm done...I appreciate everyone's help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 10
i believe all you need to do is either a) wire the extra battery in series to get 18v, or b) wire the extra battery in parallel to get longer battery life operating at 9v. don't quote me on this though.

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 10
For 18v Operation
- Batt Clip 1: Red to Board, Black to Clip 2's Red (or one of the On/Off switch leads)
- Batt Clip 2: Black to Board, Red to Clip 1's Black (or to the other On/Off switch lead)

The R5 47 Ohm's are for reducing noise that low ohm cans may experience

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 10
Wire them in parallel, to give more current to your headphones. More current gives you more dynamics and better sound. Yes more current available also means longer battery life. Battery life dependent somewhat by you're listening volume, but most of listen as loud as we can right? :wink:

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 10
amphead, to increase current pulses and impact you need bigger supply decoupling capacitors, not another battery. Modern NiMH rechargeable batteries have quite good current efficiency. Connecting them in parallel doubles the playback time only. Second, for high impedance headphones it is better to have higher voltage and two batteries in series, otherwise you won't drive the headphones loud enough. In this case gain of 11 is not a mistake when a portable player is the source.

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 10
So I ran one of the positive leads to the switch....and one of the negative leads on the other one to the switch....and the switch is in the middle of both batteries...and both of the OTHER leads of the terminals are going into the board. Is this okay? It seems okay...just want to make sure I don't do anything dumb. -_-

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbitpotion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't get the pot on. Are there quick connects I can buy at radioshack or something? The design (6 prong) of something that small should really have a better contact layout :-\.

Well, I do suppose that the pots weren't designed with handwiring in mind. They were designed to be installed into circuit boards, as well as being as compact as possible. In terms of wiring the thing up, heatshrinks definitely help to avoid bridges.

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 10
Hmm...the leads on my 10k Pot were really long and big...Its the wrong one though...haha...Ill see what you mean when I get mine tomorrow...I will buy a few and ship one for free if it works better....I also have 5 each of opa2132pa and opa132u...so its pretty good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back