cMoy Problems
May 23, 2009 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rahilb

New Head-Fier
I bought a cMoy for like $30 from ebay ages ago, and it recently failed. The black wire battery connector had broken off, so I soldered it back but i still get very low volume sound out of one ear, , and the led is kinda dull, I have attached pictures of the top and bottom of the cmoy, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 11
If you are sure you soldered the ground wire back to where it detached originally, I would try replacing the OP-amp and see if that solves the problem. Other than that you can buy a PCB made for the C-moy from Headfier Joshatdot and just move your passive components to the new board and get a new op-amp. It would be a lot cleaner and much less prone to failure.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...20/index7.html

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 11
Actually joshatdot's PCBs are rather restrictive when it comes to caps and jacks, and it's doubtful that anything but the opamp and resistors from the OP's cmoy would be compatible. I'd just buy a new PCB from joshatdot or JDS and start over completely.

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 11
Wow. That soldering is pretty scary. A few years back, I was in a class where we took a week to order kits and learn how to solder. Out of a class of around 20, I don't think anyone had soldering that bad. Anyways, I think you should just try to make a new cmoy yourself. Equipment would cost like $25 and the parts might be like $5 if you take some from that broken one. If you do end up buying another completed one, definitely ask for some pictures of the soldering.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 11
Just out of curiousity, do you happen to remember the builder's ebay ID? There are so many people on Ebay selling CMoys, but very few of them show an internal shot of their amps...and I don't think any of them show the bottom of the board.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rahilb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a cMoy for like $30 from ebay ages ago, and it recently failed. The black wire battery connector had broken off, so I soldered it back but i still get very low volume sound out of one ear, , and the led is kinda dull, I have attached pictures of the top and bottom of the cmoy, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

What a goopy mess. You should use this for target practice.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #9 of 11
Do you happen to have a multimeter on you?

It would be good if you know what's going on with the battery voltage. At least, it is the very first thing we generally do. "LED being dull" may indicate voltage failure, but you do hear normally on ONE channel right?

Are you sure you are not getting any distortions?

Soldering job is kinda crappy because solder flooding / bunch-up. But you should note some jumpers are so close, they may be touching. (or not touching.) Something now you know not to do. A good lesson. I had to learn from my own mistake and that was very bad experience because I couldn't blame it on other people.
smily_headphones1.gif

T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back