CMOY problems, loud distortion :B
Jul 19, 2004 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Peoples

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am kinda new in this DIY audio stuff and all, so bare with me. I have build CMOY on a protoboard, here in Finland there is no way for me to get an radioshack one. It works fine sure, but when I turne my amp on, even with no source plugged in, I hear this quite annouing "fuss" distortion kinda sound, something like *wap*wap*wap* :B Hard to explain, I think it has something to do with my Groundings/Potentiometer. Using ALPS 10K (STRK09707) pot. CMOY amp is built into a plastic casing. I was just wondering, how should I ground those connectors and does somebody have a clear explanation how to wire the pot the right way(the pot is upside down, with a piece of protoboard on the legs to help the soldering, I think for 1# that the ground and Input have swapped places, 'cause turning the volume up make the volume go smaller). This is how I have connected the pot, 1# row of pins(left/right) = Input Socket, 2# Amps PCB Input, #3 Signal Ground. At the moment I have wires going to the pot ground(2 pins soldered together, and wire from each socket(3.5mm and 6.5mm(1/4")soldered to that point(probably doing this the wrong way :B). I think the problem lies somewhere here, I get no heat at all from any off the components, I used a multimeter and a 3.5mm-RCA cable to figure out left/right/ground on the sockets. Please contribute all of your advices, they maybe crucial :B If I just could get that loud hiss/fuss away it would be great. After this quite confusing post I am still pretty sure that the distortion is because of me; 1# wiring the pot wrong, #2 Doing the grounding wrong.

King regards, and thank for all those who have the time and willingness to help one DIYer in a trouble.

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 4
If the pot has the standard pinout you have wired it correctly. What powersupply are you using? Powersupply ground or minus wire shouldn't go to signal ground (if by chance you have made this mistake). If you are using wall power the distortion could be 50Hz AC hum.

Jul 19, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
It's not clear from reading your post, but did you connect the signal grounds to ground on the amp the board? It should be connected.

Quite right, that was the problem :B I am quite happy now with the result, still waiting for the postman to bring my Senns' 595 to the test, I'll have a go with the amp tomorrow with my friend, this was quite normal for me to not notice the thing, but I am glad my CMOY works now
orphsmile.gif

Thanks Breez & Earwax and Tangent for the guide :B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back