CMOY power supplies in UK. Maplin?
Dec 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 12
Both are switchers, so there's a fair chance they will cause audible noise in the amp. Neither says it's isolated, which is critical for a CMoy.

I'd keep looking.

And no, "dynamic range" isn't the main reason to shoot for the higher output voltage end of the scale. What you want is sufficient working voltage for the op-amp.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #3 of 12
  Both are switchers, so there's a fair chance they will cause audible noise in the amp. Neither says it's isolated, which is critical for a CMoy.

I'd keep looking.

And no, "dynamic range" isn't the main reason to shoot for the higher output voltage end of the scale. What you want is sufficient working voltage for the op-amp.

Hey thanks Tangent.  I've looked at the link you placed on the page and it seems that something like these linked here will do.

Also here's a possible UK equivalent of JDS labs' DC plug adaptor seen on their website. If we think the Boss style PSU's listed in the link in the first paragraph will work then simply adding this adapter should do the trick I reckon
ksc75smile.gif

Oh and the maximum voltage the installed OP AMP can take (Burr Brown OPA2227) is 18V. As seen here on the datasheet here. So the 20V PSU from Maplin I originally thought about would be, well, not a good idea!

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 12
You need a AC/DC psu unless your Cmoy has a built in rectification circuit. The PSU's you linked are AC/AC and will fry your Cmoy unless you add a rectifier/regulator board to the PSU.

The datasheet of the opa2227 probably says +-18V i.e. a dual supply with +18V/-18V. That means the maximum voltage across the opamps supply pins is 36V. I don't know what kind of vgnd circuit your amp uses and/or what the capacitors are rated for, though.

What you'd want would ideally be a linear, regulated power supply. I'm not sure where you can get those but I think I have seen some models mentioned in a Tangent article...?
I usually just use a AC/AC wallwart/transformer and add a small regulator board to it.

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 12
You need a AC/DC psu unless your Cmoy has a built in rectification circuit. The PSU's you linked are AC/AC and will fry your Cmoy unless you add a rectifier/regulator board to the PSU.

The datasheet of the opa2227 probably says +-18V i.e. a dual supply with +18V/-18V. That means the maximum voltage across the opamps supply pins is 36V. I don't know what kind of vgnd circuit your amp uses and/or what the capacitors are rated for, though.

What you'd want would ideally be a linear, regulated power supply. I'm not sure where you can get those but I think I have seen some models mentioned in a Tangent article...?
I usually just use a AC/AC wallwart/transformer and add a small regulator board to it.

Blimey who knew this was so complicated! Pffff...I may just give up. Thank you so much for your input, I will update these posts if i find what I am looking for. Meanwhile if anyone in the uk has one of these amps, please do put down what you use :kissing_heart:

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 12
This should be OK
http://cpc.farnell.com/stontronics/s2171mn/ac-dc-linear-psu-12v-300ma-2-1mm/dp/PW02830
Only about five quid and free postage. Plenty more models to choose from from this top UK supplier.  

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 12
  Sure, it's not a trivial choice. However, you sound like you haven't found my article on the topic yet.

Hi Tangent, thanks so much. Yep I did read your article a few weeks back and very comprehensive I found it too. It's still a little confusing for me (not your fault, you described it very succinctly) but I think the main issue was not knowing where to look for the PSUs. Thank you so much to you, and to @buggalugs for his Farnell find. I will go with that (+ the relevant adapter) and send JDS an email to ask them about it and recommend it to them assuming it's all good
cool.gif

Will post back with my findings. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 12
Reply from JDSLabs about my email, just below...

There is one here which seems to do the job (but would require an adapter)
http://cpc.farnell.com/stontronics/s2171mn/ac-dc-linear-psu-12v-300ma-2-1mm/dp/PW02830
or this one which has tips to suit.
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=PW02831

Reply....

>Hi Andrew,
>Thanks for the feedback. Either of the power adapters you linked should work. If you can find an adapter, the PW02830 is likely the more robust option. Model PW02831 should also work well >otherwise.
>Best regards,

>John Seaber

Users who are viewing this thread

Back