Cmoy Pot/impedance question
Jun 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ashkii21

100+ Head-Fier
I just finished building my second Cmoy and I was wondering which resistance to use to figure out the frequency of bass roll-off. I am using a 10k pot and have 100k for R2. Which do I use in the formula, f=1/(2 x pi x R x C)? Is it 10k from the pot, 100k from R2 or is it something else? (9090?) Are there any benefits from using a 50k pot instead of the 10k pot and changing R2 to around 500k?

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks!
ksc75smile.gif
I am planning on making another Cmoy amp and was deciding on using either a 10k or 50k pot. I am using headphones with 32 ohms Impedance and was wondering if the 10k pot or 50k pot would work better with them or if it even matters. From what I read, 60 ohms and below are considered low impedance headphones. In the Cmoys that I've made, I used a gain of 3 and the other a gain of 5. I also just used a jumper (no resistor) for R5. Also I use the TLE2072 opamp, and only a single 9V battery.

I tried the link to Electronics Calculators, but it doesn't work for me. I am using Windows 7, tried it on Firefox and IE8 but the calculators wouldn't show up. (I have the latest Java update from Sun)

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashkii21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!
ksc75smile.gif
I am planning on making another Cmoy amp and was deciding on using either a 10k or 50k pot. I am using headphones with 32 ohms Impedance and was wondering if the 10k pot or 50k pot would work better with them or if it even matters. From what I read, 60 ohms and below are considered low impedance headphones. In the Cmoys that I've made, I used a gain of 3 and the other a gain of 5. I also just used a jumper (no resistor) for R5. Also I use the TLE2072 opamp, and only a single 9V battery.

The input impedance of the amp (determined by the pot and R2) has no effect how how the amp drives your headphones. Increasing the supply voltage (use two 9V batteries) might have an effect depending upon the headphone, but you're still limited by the amount of current that a TLE2072 can put out. With low impedance headphones a different amp design might produce better results. The "Apheared 47" is only slightly more complicated than a Cmoy and reportedly works well with low impedance Grados (see How to build the Apheared 47 Headphone amplifier for Grado Headphones). Or you could build a PIMETA or Mini3.

Quote:

I tried the link to Electronics Calculators, but it doesn't work for me. I am using Windows 7, tried it on Firefox and IE8 but the calculators wouldn't show up. (I have the latest Java update from Sun)

The calculators don't show up for me either. I've emailed Tangent with the Java Script error that I'm getting.

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

I noticed the same problem and notified Tangent. He has corrected the problem. (You may have to force your browser to reload the page to get the updated javascript file.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back