CMoy not helping PK1, why?
Mar 2, 2010 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jcw122

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a CMoy amp (see sig). It doesn't seem to do much for my Yuin PK1s...the only function I have noticed is it being able to increase the volume which isn't useful for the PK1s with neither my computer nor my iPod. They already get plenty loud.

What exactly is the amp supposed to improve in the PK1s if people recommend an amp so much? Thanks.

-Jon

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 12
Might want to try a Cmoy with 18V (2 9V batteries). Depending on the opamp, it may not be getting the juice from a single 9V with the 150 ohms PK1.

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 12
Interesting...I didn't realize that would be a big difference.

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 12
Also try using a LOD if you aren't already.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 12
What's an LOD?

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 12
LOD is a line out cable that plugs into your iPod's dock port and outputs sound to a 3.5mm RCA stereo plug the same way iPod speakers and the iPod Dock get sound from the iPod.

The resulting signal bypasses the iPod's internal amplifier and is a straight line signal going to your amplifier, which is more desirable than having your iPod's amp the soundthen pass it to your CMoy amp.

The result is a much, much cleaner sound and it is also a stronger signal to boot (if you have a good pair of iPod speakers, notice how if you plug it into the speaker dock sound is louder but if you use the RCA connection the sound is much more anemic and sounds far worse).

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 12
Interesting, I'll have to look into those. How much do decent LODs run?

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 12
LODs come in all shapes and sizes and prices are incredibly varied. I've seen some for under 10 bucks and some over $200. I recently ordered a $17 LOD cable from eBay that's pretty heavily shielded and should work well with a CMoy amp. An LOD for around that price from a reputable seller should suit your purposes just fine.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 12
Don't spend too much on an LOD. Unless you have superhuman hearing a $10-$20 LOD will suit your purposes. My suggestion is get something with as small a connector as possible and as thick a wire as possible.

I have three issues with my LOD, first is that:

1. It's ugly (so be sure to get something that looks good to you
2. It's loose - the dock connector is loose so if I hit it the wrong way the sound crackles
3. It's big - so I hit it more often than I'd like

A nice LOD for me would be the FiiO LOD. Small, secure, and all black so pretty neutral. And reasonably priced.

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaphoenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might want to try a Cmoy with 18V (2 9V batteries). Depending on the opamp, it may not be getting the juice from a single 9V with the 150 ohms PK1.

Doesnt make sense really, a 9V Cmoy should be able to drive up to 300 Ohm headphones

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for the guidance guys, I appreciate the help!

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Albinoni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesnt make sense really, a 9V Cmoy should be able to drive up to 300 Ohm headphones

Depends on the opamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back