CMOY LED placement and step-by-step guide questions
Mar 24, 2010 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mullet

1000+ Head-Fier
So I've got most of my parts collected and started to read Tangent's directions. I noticed two things that might potentially confuse me. The first is the LED part of the project. Where do most people mount their LED? It looks like from photos on Tangent's website that he's mounting the LED in the top of the tin. If I choose not to do so what is the part required to mount it next to my power switch? I'm using Mouser as my supplier.

The second is more of a concern of understanding Tangent's directions. They seem a little confusing as I don't feel like he goes through all the steps and uses completed pictures to illustrate the project. Does anyone happen to have a step-by-step guide that uses Tangent's part list?

Thanks,
Mullet

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 11
tangent's instructions are the most thorough instructions I've ever seen for any DIY project.

If it's not enough for you... I suggest you reconsider your decision to DIY electronics.

as for the LED, there is no part required to mount the LED.. you drill a hole and you stick the LED there. There are some plastic mounting things you can use though to make it look slightly nicer.

Digi-Key - 67-1330-ND (Manufacturer - SSH-LX3050)

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm not phased. I'll just take it slow and ask questions if I get stuck. I was just hoping for a step by step as to make sure I'm getting everything in there.

That LED mount part # you gave me will be helpful for the sake of keeping things neat.

Other than that I have a few more questions that come to mind. What's the best way to mount the proto board to an Altoids can? Also where can I obtain foam to hold the battery in place?

Thanks,
Mullet

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mullet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than that I have a few more questions that come to mind. What's the best way to mount the proto board to an Altoids can? Also where can I obtain foam to hold the battery in place?

Rather than making a new post I figured I'd bump this one up...

~Mullet

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 11
I've use thin black foam liners for upright tool boxes from Sears... used double sided tape to keep the foam in place.

Once you put the LED in place, such as using one of those mountings, glue it into place from inside the tin.

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 11
Use duct tape under the board to prevent shorts. Usually the nuts on the jacks and the volume pots hold the board in place.

Altoid tins are a hack no matter what you do.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlizzofOZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've use thin black foam liners for upright tool boxes from Sears... used double sided tape to keep the foam in place.

Once you put the LED in place, such as using one of those mountings, glue it into place from inside the tin.

Sounds good. These are the liners right? http://bit.ly/9Oo3Ie

Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use duct tape under the board to prevent shorts. Usually the nuts on the jacks and the volume pots hold the board in place.

Altoid tins are a hack no matter what you do.

I obviously haven't gotten there yet, but am I adhering the jacks/pots to the proto board. From the looks of the tutorial, it looks like they're upside down. I suppose when I'm done I could glue them on to the protoboard or use double side tape for that.

Also, I'm assuming the duct tape is attached to the tin case rather than the bottom of the board. Would electrical tape work as well?

~Mullet

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mullet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good. These are the liners right? http://bit.ly/9Oo3Ie

Yes, those are the ones... wow, expensive! I had some lying around... I can certainly understand going a more cheaper route. Electrical/duct tape are a much cheaper alternative...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back