Cmoy input caps
Mar 24, 2003 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tigger

500+ Head-Fier
When omitting the input caps on a Cmoy, do resistor values change? I know about the risk of leaving out the caps but would like to try it anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2003 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

When omitting the input caps on a Cmoy, do resistor values change?

No.

Mar 25, 2003 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 12
Hello,

Omitting input coupling capacitors will improve accuracy. However, it comes with a grave risk. Incoming DC voltage may kill your headphones. So make sure that your source has absolutely no DC offset. Also, some chips might have input DC offset due to leakage current.

I bypass with 1~2kohm resistors like ppl instructed loooooong ago. I don't remember the reasons. I upgraded these bypass resistors with esoteric carbon resistors later.

Tomo

Mar 26, 2003 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 12
Yes,

It has to do with attenuating signals to protect FET inputs. They are very vulnerable. Bypassing caps with a wire is not necessarily good idea since spark may damage your FET inputs.

Although the bypassing resistors will protect the fet inputs, DC offset will get amplified by opamp to create significant offset voltage at the output. This is also a problem. This one will kill your headphones. (potentially)

So skipping coupling cap is like working around a bookbag full of waterballons. It is a matter of time before an accident happens. But then if you will never ever fall, it is ok. ... You get the picture?

Tomo

Mar 26, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 12
So,

In another words, this is an upgrade if fail can cause serious damage. So if you are not confident about your electronics expertise, it is simply NOT recommended.

Get a super spec caps. 0.1~1uF super high quality cap cost like 5~10 dollars. If you get lucky, you can get bulk from some dude in Ebay. I got a huge load of Siemen MKP 0.47uF 250V (WIMA-like) for a dollar a pop. They sounded superb in my CMOY amp.

(Or you can get super confident in your understanding in electronics. ... But then that could take many lunch time reading.)

Tomo

Mar 26, 2003 at 10:58 AM Post #9 of 12
You don't need an inline resistor in the META42 if you jumper C1, because R1 is already inline with the FET inputs of the op-amp.

Mar 26, 2003 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 12
Getting back to the original Cmoy scenario, what value resistor would one use in place of C1?
As far as amplified DC goes, it is my understanding Meier Audio Corda amps use no input caps without any reported problems.

Mar 26, 2003 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 12
Oh jeez, I guess I've got META42 on the brain....Sorry about that. But the solution is the same: do like the META42 and put a 1K resistor there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back