Cmoy help needed
Oct 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

poli275

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I built a Cmoy recently and have one major issue. Circuit seems okay, checked voltage and current draw which all looks fine. Major issue is, I get very bad sound quality. After fiddling around for some time, I found that if I disconnect the ground wire of audio from the virtual ground, I get better sound, but turning the volume up will make the noises obvious. Any idea what would had possible went wrong? Thanks for any help or suggestions :) 

Btw I wired according to the schematic provided on tangensoft wbsite

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 12
Hi, thanks for your reply. Pictures speak a thousand words, so I shall show you my board which is clearer than I explaining it
http://imgur.com/a/VpMXZ

T[size=small]he 6th strip from bottom up is virtual ground rail with a bridge to the strip where capacitors are. Ground from audio out is connected to that rail.[/size]

[size=small]The cmoy is Opamp type, DC supply of 9V from a single 9V battery.[/size]

[size=small]Thanks for your help.[/size]

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 12
Hi Peraners, thanks for your reply. I have an OPA2132PA Opamp, the datasheet shows max tolerable 36V. I measured the positive and negative voltage against ground, they are all equal, is that what you meant? All ground points are connected together to the virtual ground rail.

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 12
I just found out that my left channel is not producing any sound, which causes the intense distortion to both channels on my earpiece. I will trace the signal along the path for any problem, in the mean time I could use more suggestions or possible solutions from everyone :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 12
OK sure, I will do the tests again tomorrow and come back again, thanks for all help provided. By the way, is it possible to have a damaged chip causing the left channel to be not functioning?

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #12 of 12
Hmm, I think the problem is that I soldered the 10k resistor before the 1k one on the I- pin. I only found the cmoy layout pdf file yesterday, was using the schematic only when I first soldered my first one and I'm not good in interpreting schematics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back