Cmoy headamp on Ebay
Aug 17, 2007 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ttan98

100+ Head-Fier
I am after a basic headphone amp which does cost much. There are a few CMOY type of amp for sale at Ebay. I wonder any here has experience in the sound quality of some of them.

Can anyone recommend any model or models which is proven to give good quality sound?

Thanks

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 15
I got one of the Penguin Mint CMOYs from Juice2214 several months back. He still sells them. The first one had a sound issue so he sent me a replacement (even though he couldn't hear the problem, which was generous of him). Some of the other makers use PCBs, but Juice2214 has wired all his on perfboard.

My Total BitHead has better SQ but it is also less powerful and runs through batteries more quickly. (This is with Ety ER-6 IEMs.) If you are using a sensitive pair of cans that don't need much juice, however, I don't think the eBay CMOY will give you much advantage.

Otherwise, it's a great starter/backup and throw-in-the-bag amp for the price. Plus, it looks neat and is a conversation starter!

--Chris

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackinches /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those usually go for $75-$90 by the time the auction ends.

Yeah... seems to have a lot of nice features (bypass, recharge) and an AD8397 at heart.

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This amp looks really interesting....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320148933842

Ive never heard one though.

Ha, yes. I actually bid on an earlier auction a while ago, but lost since I figure it should be no more than $50. I can't believe the price they go for. I can build a Mini3 for about the same price, maybe a bit less.

OP, how much are you willing to spend?

If cost isn't too much of an issue, I would look for one made from a PCB with good parts (not necessarily boutique parts). Not that breadboard isn't fine, but the Cmoy is so simple, the prices would pretty much demand better components. Some of them also uses a power switch with an ALPS RK097 pot, which makes me go
blink.gif

Anyhow, I dislike tins...so you'll see my preference right there. I actually bought a kit (PCB+components) from Zigis and he was a pleasure to deal with. He's a member here on this board, and sells cmoys on e-bay as well. His looks better than all the others, IMO, with the Hammond case, and brass face plate. His components are good. There's no hiss with sensitive IEMs. He also uses Rubycon 470mf 16V caps, so you can run up to 32V.

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah... seems to have a lot of nice features (bypass, recharge) and an AD8397 at heart.

You can build a Mini3 for cheaper, as I think you have built stuff before.

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 15
Zigis's amp would be great if he used a better opamp. I hate the OPA2134. Maybe it's just me. Of course, you could swap that out.

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyhow, I dislike tins...so you'll see my preference right there. I actually bought a kit (PCB+components) from Zigis and he was a pleasure to deal with. He's a member here on this board, and sells cmoys on e-bay as well. His looks better than all the others, IMO, with the Hammond case, and brass face plate. His components are good. There's no hiss with sensitive IEMs. He also uses Rubycon 470mf 16V caps, so you can run up to 32V.

sourcing the parts is the hassle, rather I buy with ready made parts, and upgrade according if I want to.

by the way where do I source the Zigis's PCB?

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #13 of 15
You can PM Zigis. He has all the parts and can sell it to you along with the PCB without a case, that's a typical kit. You just need to assemble and put it in a case...or buy his assembled amp.

Most every CMoy on e-bay uses the same opamps. I bought it with the OPA2132 but am using an LM4562 with it on a brown dog adapter (leftover parts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back