CMOY grounding issue
Jan 25, 2004 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

injinuiti

New Head-Fier
Hi, I recently just finished building the CMOY amp following tangents guide, but I have a wierd problem when I try to test it with the alligator clip setup. If I connect all of the cables the way that tangent described, I get a echo-y hollow sound, but if I disconnect the ground clip from the headphones, the sound is fine. What could be causing this? Or, when I wire the amp to the jacks should I just not connect the out jack to ground?

Jan 25, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm not sure if this is what you were asking, but the clip from the headphone plug designated to go towards ground is connected to one of R3 of the amp section, which is connected to ground. The ground clip from the source is on the other R3. This is the way tangent had it set up in his picture.

Jan 26, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 7
bump...can anyone else help please?

Jan 26, 2004 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 7
Go around the board with a multimeter - check continuity between ground and every element that should be connected to ground.

Try touching input ground to output ground in your current setup. It shouldn't change anything, but it might.

Jan 27, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 7
What am I supposed to be looking for?

Jan 27, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Check for continuity. Put one lead on something that's supposed to be connected to ground. With the other lead, check everything else that's supposed to be connected to ground. Make sure it reads a few ohms or less. If you get more than that, resolder the connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back