cMoy for an ipod and Shure E4?
Aug 2, 2005 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zumaro

500+ Head-Fier
I have been cruising these forums for a while and I finally have dared to contribute (well ask for advice anyway!). As a total newcomer to portable amps would a cMoy amp coupled with an iPod and Shure E4 headphones be of much use? Or do I have a horrible impedance/amp mismatch or some other serious error that would be hopelessly mirth inducing to those of you in the know about these things?

I was looking at those made by Evilfire (OK so they look cool which is what caught my eye) but maybe I should stretch towards something more expensive, or are these little amps a good introduction? I also use Sennheiser PX100s (these are my main portable headphones) and Grado 80s (not so portable in my opinion) - would this amp cover all bases adequately?

How's that for a series of naive questions - any advice appreciated.

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 6
No advice from anyone! Am I destined to remain forever ignorant in these matters?
confused.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 6
I think the E4Cs sound great right out of the ipod. An amp will give you a little more bass if you use the lineout on the ipod, but really the E4Cs don't need an amp to sound great with an ipod.

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 6
I second that remake. And if you were to get an amp get a better one. Like the SMv3. So you have the bass boost to help out the headphones. Otherwise just hold off. Or get a pair of the UM2s.

Aug 3, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 6
I agree with the given advice. If you are after an amp for those, a SuperMacro works well - has an impedence switch that makes them sing (along with the other features). If you are after I cheaper option, a used SuperDual (since they are no longer made) makes a nice ultraportable with the impedence switch (and a bass boost and cross-feed).

Good luck.

Aug 3, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 6
what is a um2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back