CMoy DC PS Choices
Oct 11, 2008 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bmwpowere36m3

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, just finished up my cmoy build and would now like to add a DC power supply to conserve battery power when using it at my desk. I'm currently running my cmoy off 2x 9V batteries and thought I'd add a DC jack (seperating PS from batteries with a set of diodes).

I have this PS at home now, off an old Yamaha 2.1 speaker system:

DSC_3092.jpg

Class 2 Power Supply
Model: PA-M30
Input: AC120V 60Hz 30W
Output: DC 15V 1.2A

would it work or what other choices should I look at? Thanks.

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhys h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This will be fine, just look on the internet on how to use a cmoy with a rail splitter.

The Cmoy is already built, not sure what rail splitter your talking about? I'm already using a TLE2426 to "split" the voltages on the CMoy.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 15
Have you checked that it's isolated?

Is it putting out 15V for real, or is it putting out something higher? If higher, it's unregulated, and so may inject noticeable amounts of hum into the amplifier. If regulated, it could be switching regulated, which will inject higher-frequency noise, again possibly audible. Chances are really low that it's linear-regulated, which would be the cleanest sort, generally best for this sort of audio circuit.

The voltage question depends on what battery setup you have. Care to share?

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you checked that it's isolated?

Is it putting out 15V for real, or is it putting out something higher? If higher, it's unregulated, and so may inject noticeable amounts of hum into the amplifier. If regulated, it could be switching regulated, which will inject higher-frequency noise, again possibly audible. Chances are really low that it's linear-regulated, which would be the cleanest sort, generally best for this sort of audio circuit.

The voltage question depends on what battery setup you have. Care to share?

Yes it's isolated, but the actual ouput voltage is ~19V. So I'm assuming it's unregulated? What would you recommend for PS, since the ones listed on your site I couldn't find on Digi-Key or Mouser.

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 15
At the bottom of the original CMOY project page on Headwize there is decent coverage on how to use a regulated transformer to power the CMOY.

HeadWize - Project: A Pocket Headphone Amplifier by Chu Moy

You can then add a regulator section to your transformer to drop it down to 12V or 9V, and smooth it out with some caps. It might be worth sticking it on a scope and seeing how smooth the DC coming out of that transformer is.

9 Volt 2 Amp PSU

Use the L78S09CV (9V 2A version of the 78S09) found for $.89 on mouser.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming it's unregulated?

Yes.

Quote:

What would you recommend for PS

I'd try that one and see how it works. If you get audible hum, add a linear regulator of some sort between it and the amplifier. I offer the TREAD for this purpose. The suggestion to use an LM78xx will also work, but give about 4x the ripple; still good, just not as good. You can get most of the benefit of the TREAD by getting an LM317, a few resistors and a few capacitors from Radio Shack. Or, you can go nuts, adding Jung regulators and other such exotica.

Bottom line, starting from an unregulated supply like that is perfectly reasonable. The only question is how much regulation you want to add to it, if any at all.

Oct 16, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.

I'd try that one and see how it works. If you get audible hum, add a linear regulator of some sort between it and the amplifier. I offer the TREAD for this purpose. The suggestion to use an LM78xx will also work, but give about 4x the ripple; still good, just not as good. You can get most of the benefit of the TREAD by getting an LM317, a few resistors and a few capacitors from Radio Shack. Or, you can go nuts, adding Jung regulators and other such exotica.

Bottom line, starting from an unregulated supply like that is perfectly reasonable. The only question is how much regulation you want to add to it, if any at all.

The TREAD circuit looks appealing, looking over the circuit are: C5, B1, and the accompanying C1-C4 needed if I choose to use the above PS. Will they add any value or only when using AC wall-wart? How about using a 39uF C8, bigger is better as long as it fits the confines? Would it be sensable to run the output at 17V and could I just get rid of VSET and run: R1 120ohms & R2 1500ohms?

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

C5, B1, and the accompanying C1-C4 needed

The bridge and its bypass caps aren't helpful with your sort of power supply. You can still add C5, which will reduce some pre-regulator ripple, but it's very much optional.

Quote:

How about using a 39uF C8

I wouldn't go bigger unless you have the parts on hand already or can't get the spec'd sizes. The values I include in the kit come straight out of the datasheets.

Quote:

Would it be sensable to run the output at 17V

You'll find that the unregulated voltage falls below 19 V when you put a load on it. Also, 2 V is a little tight for dropout voltage with the LM317. I'd budget for 2.5 V of drop-out, and no more than 18.5 V of unregulated voltage. So, 16 V is more realistic.

Quote:

could I just get rid of VSET

Certainly. That's what I meant by "an LM317 [and] a few resistors" above.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #13 of 15
Hi, i also have some questions on DC PS for CMOY. I want to try build CMOY on TL082C OPA, so it needs +\- 18V PS. Then I should search for +36V PS to split it into +-18 ?

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone know what kind of jack this is...

Something weird. I'd clip it off and replace it with something normal. Unfortunately, Radio Shack's solder-on plug ends are pretty rotten. You'll have to mail order something or cut something off another wall wart to get something reasonable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S3am /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it needs +\- 18V PS

No, that's the absolute maximum. Giving it that much voltage is like running your car with the tach pegged at the red line all the time. You shouldn't run the chip with more than 30 V for normal operation. The difference exists to account for ripple, rail voltage spikes, etc.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

No, that's the absolute maximum.

Thanks, You'r right, it abs max... So I'll Try more comfortable voltages
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back