Cmoy build.
Dec 5, 2011 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mikkelmmk93

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I am looking into making my own hf amp and have looked at the Cmoy design, but is that the one thats ideal for me?
I will most likely be using it with me Phonak Audeo PFE 122 IEM's. 
I think that I would buy and LOD to use with it.
What I want in my amp is just simply better sound. Maybe a bass boost/control. or even treble control if that exist.
My budget however is not in the high end. I would want to keep the costs as low as possible. but around 20 usd. up to 40 if it really is worth it. Maybe even 50 or so, again depending on what I get.
Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 9
The CMoy is "ideal" only when low cost is the only consideration. It's good for what it is, but as you start adding features and demand better audio quality, cost does go up.

Additionally, it sounds like you aren't very experienced in DIY. One of the things that fights against the potential cost savings in DIY is repeated builds due to inexperience (burnt parts, indecision in parts selection) and a desire for something better once you have built something.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
The CMoy is "ideal" only when low cost is the only consideration. It's good for what it is, but as you start adding features and demand better audio quality, cost does go up.

Additionally, it sounds like you aren't very experienced in DIY. One of the things that fights against the potential cost savings in DIY is repeated builds due to inexperience (burnt parts, indecision in parts selection) and a desire for something better once you have built something.

Hmm... Maybe the DIY aint for me. My only reason to DIY is to get it cheaper.
I am pretty experienced with DIY but not for amplifiers.
I am also good at soldering and assembling pcb's and such. Have made a few of them :wink:
Is there a DIY build that would actually sound good? not as in 100 dollar amp good but just as in pretty ok.
Maybe even for use with my iem's phonak audeo pfe 122

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 9
There are lots of DIY amps that sound great. Since I'm biased, that's all I will say on that.

Obviously I'm a big proponent of DIY. I just don't want you to feel like there's guaranteed savings in DIY. It can happen, but it can also end up costing you more.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 9
You could start with this stripboard cmoy:- http://www.head-fi.org/t/460669/strip-board-cmoy-revisited. I'd use an NJM4556 for the opamp, you'll end up with something not very different from the $350 Grado RA-1 for $10~$20. You can get the opamp from ebay, it may take a few days to come and be more expensive than buying from Mouser, but you won't have the big minimum order/postage problem that you get from mainstream suppliers

w

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
You could start with this stripboard cmoy:- http://www.head-fi.org/t/460669/strip-board-cmoy-revisited. I'd use an NJM4556 for the opamp, you'll end up with something not very different from the $350 Grado RA-1 for $10~$20. You can get the opamp from ebay, it may take a few days to come and be more expensive than buying from Mouser, but you won't have the big minimum order/postage problem that you get from mainstream suppliers

w

That would seem like a pretty easy and straight forward build.
Thanks for it!

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Tangent can't blow his own horn, but I can...

Check here for great advice.
Also check here for more projects.

Even if you don't build any of the projects, the theory and examples are invaluable.

Good luck with your project!

Quote:
Hi guys.

I am looking into making my own hf amp and have looked at the Cmoy design, but is that the one thats ideal for me?
I will most likely be using it with me Phonak Audeo PFE 122 IEM's. 
I think that I would buy and LOD to use with it.
What I want in my amp is just simply better sound. Maybe a bass boost/control. or even treble control if that exist.
My budget however is not in the high end. I would want to keep the costs as low as possible. but around 20 usd. up to 40 if it really is worth it. Maybe even 50 or so, again depending on what I get.
Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back