Cmoy build (first time) uneven voltages
Oct 21, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #31 of 34
It looks like you've made a bridge between the in+ and in- of your chip

You seem to use a lot of solder, try using less, you'll make fewer accidental bridges.  Also, when working with stranded wire, you should tin the stripped end before soldering it to your board, this will help the wire make a good electrical bond.

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #32 of 34
iirc isn't r5 supposed to be a very small value like 100ohms or smaller?

just from looking at the pictures, you may want to touch up the ground plane connections. a good joint will not look like a bubble, it should smoothly connect between the parts being soldered. for example that little ball in the 5th row from the bottom in your ground column, that doesnt look like it's soldered to anything at all, you could probably poke it with a finger and have it roll off. i dont know if this would solve your current problem, but bad joints can cause a lot of headaches down the line even if they aren't at this moment.

also i agree with samsquanch, you're using a lot more solder than necessary. this can lead to other problems like unintentional shorts.

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #33 of 34
Oh..those pics bring back the horrors of deadbug/protoboard  building .. which is why I designed a CMoy PCB, and was selling them to HF'ers some time ago.

I just finished building one of them now, and posted pics in the Pics of your Builds

Grats though on your builds
ksc75smile.gif

edit: here's my 2nd CMoy ever built (the 1st was a dud)

Oct 21, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #34 of 34
First get some alcohol and an old toothbrush and clean the flux off, then check the board for shorts again, there looks to be a few potential problems, don't forget it can be a tiny hair of solder that's the problem not necessarily a big blob of solder :)

cheers
FRED

Users who are viewing this thread

Back