CMoy BB or e11?
Mar 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

JMikesell

Head-Fier
So I'm going on a trip next month that will take me away from music for a week. I think this is a great opportunity to deacclamate myself from crappy headphones and step up to line out and amped.

I have M50's and want to get some of lower tier Grados (between 60 and 125) in the near future but first I want to get an amp. Being a college kid, my budget is limited to under $100. I mostly listen to acoustic music with some rock and a bit of electronic thrown in. I'm between the JDS labs cmoy and the Fiio e11. I like the cmoy due to its upgradeability and the e11 because of it's price, rechargeable battery and form factor. I don't know much about the sound of either tho so I was hoping for some insight that might tip the scales....

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 14
I'll throw in a vote for the E11. The convenience factor tips the scales in the final analysis. Sound wise I have no complaints for a portable. So far it drives just about anything you can throw at it. The EQ is handy and the Hi Lo gain feature is really what makes it stand out from the Cmoy option. Depending on what headphones your driving it can have an amazing effect (Changes Sony V3's into a completely different beast) or simply expands the inherent sound of the phone Sennheisers.

If you can get hold of demos try them both out, I suspect you'll go away with the E11.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 14
Wait, you're buying an amp before you get decent headphones? Why?

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 14
Well, I wanna see what it sounds like amped, but also I want to use this with line-out equipment like the DVD player, TV tuner and hopefully a PS1.

So I started this off trying to narrow down the two choices, but now I'm adding a third, the C&C BH. I haven't heard as much about this one but I've heard good things and I'd be willing to save for that one. Thoughts?...

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
M50's are not decent? Thats news to me.

My mistake. I was kinda tired and missed the "I have M50s", Just saw that he was considering some low-tier Grados, and assumed that his current cans were significantly below the planned upgrade. But really, M50s don't need an amp, but if you want to go for it, the C&C is widely considered an excellent alternative to the E11. Never heard it myself, but those who do tell me its great.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
My mistake. I was kinda tired and missed the "I have M50s", Just saw that he was considering some low-tier Grados, and assumed that his current cans were significantly below the planned upgrade. But really, M50s don't need an amp, but if you want to go for it, the C&C is widely considered an excellent alternative to the E11. Never heard it myself, but those who do tell me its great.

I'm in the same boat as you on the C&C. It was just mentioned to me over on the FiiO E12 thread. The one thing that Irks me about the E11 is the no playback during charging "feature" so I was having a look at the E12. What I am hearing about the C&C is really leading me to a serious look at it as an alternative. I would love to hear one.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 14
C&C BH is a solid little amp, can be used whilst charging and grabs 80 true hours run time. Members are reporting taking it up to 85 and counting. The SQ very clean and detailed. Find the C&C BH thread, it's usually not to far away on the main page, read some of the members impressions below the review we have put together from many users / owners.

It's a clear upgrade over both your other choices, having tried both In the past. It's a strong little amp.

Goodluck!

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
The one thing that Irks me about the E11 is the no playback during charging "feature" 

i think this is the only downside to the e11 that really stands out. on the other hand, the cmoy doesnt even charge and youll have to change the batteries (actually come to think of it, i think there IS a rechargeable version, youll have to check the jdslabs site). i have both and i like them both. if its portability your looking for, id definitely go for the e11 as its really small and slim, and can easily fit in your pocket. havent heard the c&c, but i cant say i found any major differences in SQ between the e11 and the cmoy. at the time i was using them, i preferred the cmoy, but i think its just because i was using it as a desktop amp and i liked its weight...

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
i think this is the only downside to the e11 that really stands out. on the other hand, the cmoy doesnt even charge and youll have to change the batteries (actually come to think of it, i think there IS a rechargeable version, youll have to check the jdslabs site). i have both and i like them both. if its portability your looking for, id definitely go for the e11 as its really small and slim, and can easily fit in your pocket. havent heard the c&c, but i cant say i found any major differences in SQ between the e11 and the cmoy. at the time i was using them, i preferred the cmoy, but i think its just because i was using it as a desktop amp and i liked its weight...

The Dual battery Cmoy is a killer amp, but at the expense of weight and inconvenience. The 2 9volt's really test the strength and integrity of an altoids tin, and your pocket stitching.It really requires  a decent enclosure. Sound wise still tip of the hat to the E11 for just a little more depth.

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
I'm in the same boat as you on the C&C. It was just mentioned to me over on the FiiO E12 thread. The one thing that Irks me about the E11 is the no playback during charging "feature" so I was having a look at the E12. What I am hearing about the C&C is really leading me to a serious look at it as an alternative. I would love to hear one.

I picked up my E11 back when it was only $50, so going to $100 for the BH wasn't an option. The playback during charging is mildly annoying, if it dies while I'm using it I have to wait. Not that bad, though. I might pick up the BH at some point, probably would sell my E11.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I agree that the M50's do not need an amplifier. I tried the M50's with a Fostex HP-A3 Dac/Amp combo one time, and if there was a difference, it wasn't very noticeable.

From what I've read, I think that the C&C and the Fiio E12 sound like a good buy. That battery life on the C&C is insane... Definitely something I'll look more into if I find that I need a better amp when my HE-400 comes in tomorrow. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back