CMoy and headphone connection
Mar 6, 2006 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

teemupii

New Head-Fier
Hi

I would like to know are headphones in series or in parallel with with CMoys output? If they are in series I would like to get explanation because in my mind they are in parallel
confused.gif

Thanks,

Teemu

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueworm
N/A unless your headphones have more than 1 driver per channel(left/right).
In which case they would be in parallel.

Thank you, but could you be more specific? I'm using this schematic -> http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tu...angent-sch.pdf In my mind the headphones will be parallel with R3 and R4 that are in series. I "know" that the headphones will be in series, but I cannot understand why
blink.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 9
R4 and R5 are in parallel with each other if you so choose to impliment R5 which is optional.
So I suppose it would be in series but you really dont need to worry about it.

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueworm
So I suppose it would be in series but you really dont need to worry about it.

But I would like to understand the output part of the amp because it doesn't look complicated, and I still cannot get it..

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 9
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I would like to undestand how the amp works. I understand everything else but this seems to be too hard for me :|

Maybe I should draw this as simplified schematic (or is schema better word?), but I cannot make the operation amplifier simplier e.g. make look like a resistor(s) at some point. Or I should just forget it and try to understand it later
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 9
I think of it more like the amp is powering the headphone driver
(Like the battery powers a lamp in a flashlight)

the lamp is in a 'simple circuit' (not series or parallel), unless we add another lamp into the circuit in which case we can wire that in either series or parallel with the first lamp.

Since the headphone has one driver on each channel, again that is a 'simple circuit' unless you add a second driver into the same channel (circuit) like above with the lamps.

if, however you must look at the headphone and amp as one -or- the other in order to be more comfortable with the concept, it would have to be considered a Series Circuit IMO because you have only one driver and one path (to be parallel you would need a second driver presenting an alternate current path).

I hope I have helped and not confused you, and mostly I hope I have not included incorrect information . . . . perhaps this will be an opportunity for us BOTH to learn something

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 9
By making the circuit that simple it is easy to understand that they are in series. If I would add second CMoy amp to the output of the first one, would these be in series or in parallel
confused.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by teemupii
By making the circuit that simple it is easy to understand that they are in series. If I would add second CMoy amp to the output of the first one, would these be in series or in parallel
confused.gif

that would depend on how you wired them together . . . again for ease, think of batteries . . .
Wired one in line with the other would be in series
Wired one next to the other would be in parallel

if [======] is a battery, then

----[======]-----[=======]----- = series

lol, quite the artist I am
rolleyes.gif

in this image the batteries are in series and so are the lamps
http://iss.cet.edu/electricity/pages...s/a/a222_1.jpg

in this image these lamps are in parallel
http://www.danieltrimpey.com/learn/e...s/parallel.GIF

when batteries are put in series the voltage increases (lamps would be twice as bright)
, but when in Parallel the amperage increases anbd the voltage remains the same (the batteries would last twice as long or drive more lamps)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back