cmoy amp: worth $50?
Jan 14, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 14
If you can indeed get it for $56, it would be a pretty sweet deal. Consider a regular self-built CMOY amp is around $50 for a single channel, and that amp is a dual channel. Plus they used a TLE2426 rail splitter (which makes the battery output more stable) and 1% Vishay-Dale resistors, which would alone drive up the DIY cost.

As with the improvement it would bring to the sound quality of the E2c's, I not quite sure the E2c's can benefit too much. Although I'm guessing the bass would tighten up, and the treble would be more prominant.

Jan 14, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 14
thanks firefox, very useful information
i think im gonna go for it
if the cable is not included, where can i get one?

Jan 14, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 14
You're welcome! If you ever find that the sound quality improvement is not as significant as you'de like, you can always use their 30 day money back thing.

As for the cable, HeadRoom has a nice and short Cardas HPI 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable. I believe it's around $15 (can't exactly be sure), but it's nice and flexible, and the sound quality isn't too shabby either. But there's always cheaper alternatives such as a self-made Cat5e interconnect.

Jan 14, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 14
i went on the headroom site (i think) lol
http://www.headphone.com/products/ca...mini-cable.php
would that be 3.5 to 3.5, i think it is, but it doesnt say so i just wnana be sure

would i have to order it online or would a local place (best buy, radio shack)
have what im looking for?>

Jan 14, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
If you can indeed get it for $56, it would be a pretty sweet deal. Consider a regular self-built CMOY amp is around $50 for a single channel, and that amp is a dual channel.

All cmoys are dual channel, otherwise you'd hear sound in only one ear
wink.gif
Typical cmoys use a dual opamp, which means that one chip is used for both L/R channels.

Quote:

Plus they used a TLE2426 rail splitter (which makes the battery output more stable) and 1% Vishay-Dale resistors, which would alone drive up the DIY cost.

Yeah, by $2 at most...

Jan 14, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMstephen21
would i have to order it online or would a local place (best buy, radio shack)
have what im looking for?>

A local place won't carry Cardas. I'd order online since you'd get more bang-for-the-buck IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
All cmoys are dual channel, otherwise you'd hear sound in only one ear
wink.gif
Typical cmoys use a dual opamp, which means that one chip is used for both L/R channels.

just bad wording by him. that ebay amp is quite nifty because its litterally two cmoys with the input split to them.

Jan 14, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 14
Yea I'd say its a fair price. I snagged my pimeta from the forums for $80, to me thats a better value but you can only take whats available. ALthough do you want or will use the dual outputs? Otherwise its jsut an extra knob to make it less comfortable for portable, and you could instead find or have someone build you one that fits 2 9v batteries.

Jan 14, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 14
lol

well thanks a bunch for the information guys, still trying to make up my mind...

ive got 10 hours to decide......

Jan 14, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 14
Jesus, Cmoys have gotten so much better recently. Just around this time last year, the only thing you could pick up on eBay were Altoid tins.

Headphone amplification has definitely increased in popularity in the past year.

Jan 15, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #13 of 14
Love my Cmoy, but I don't know how much real improvement you'll get with E2Cs. Cmoys are designed to drive high impedence cans, the Shure line is many things, but high impedence isn't one of them. When driving low impedence headphones I end up with some hiss in quiet sections. A PAV2 is a much better choice for low impedence cans.

Jan 15, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #14 of 14
Sorry about the dual-channel thing, what I meant by dual-channel was that it's litterally like 2 CMoy in one. And yes, CMoy's have been advancing lately, and getting tons more popular. For those interested in a CMoy they should take a look at the XMoy2 by Practical Devices, it has crossfeed which is a really nice feature as well as a bunch of other nifty things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back