CMoy amp from source with a bass roll off
May 27, 2008 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Grimloki

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Cowon D2, that rolls off bass on low impedance phones. I also have three sets of phones; SR60s, KSC75s, and V-moda Vibes.

I'd like to build, or otherwise obtain a cmoy amp (they had me at the mint tin), but I'm not sure if the amp will experience the bass rolloff problem that low impedance phones do...

The vibes, at 16 ohms, should experience it the worst, but they have had their sound sig made to work with bass rolloff... such that they sound almost normal when plugged into a flawed source, but like a boomy monstrosity when plugged into anything else.
mad.gif

The KSC75s are 60 ohm, and sound great no matter what, while the SR60s... with bass rolloff of their own, are experiencing it more with the 32 ohms of resistance. I hope to see some improvement in the (already awesome) SR60s...

But mostly I want to stuff some electronics I built into a mint tin, and then walk around for a week in public... listening to my decidedly not portable Grados, plugged into an Altoids tin, with a huge grin on my face and a sense of accomplishment.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 2
I'm not familiar with D2, but if the bass rolloff happens specifically with low impedance phones, it's likely due to coupling capacitor. If this is the case, then a cmoy would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back