cmoy amp and senn hd580 good combo ?
May 8, 2002 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sunshine

Head-Fier
I'm planning to build the cmoy amp and parring it with the purchase of the sennheiser 580 cans. Is this a good combination. Will a DIY amp costing $30+ work good with the 580? I could probably afford to buy an Airhead or Porta Corda amp but if the cmoy is just as good with the sennheiser 580 I figure why not built one for fun. However ultimately good sound reproduction is what I really want out of the 580 so I'm not sure if I should just purchase and amp for about $100-200 more. So what does anybody think I should do, 1) built the cmoy for fun and save some money at the sametime (I do have some experience with a soldering iron) or 2) just buy the amp.

May 8, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 6
I have a CMoy that I built myself and I find it's a significant improvement over the average headphone jack. I haven't compared it to any other portable amps like the PC and TA, though.

May 8, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Its my primary rig. Sounds great to my ears. But then, this is all I listen too.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 6
Depending on source, it'll sound very good. Better amps will sound better, of course. The primary thing is, you'll have to get to a fairly high level amp before you run out of your 'phones ability to use what you send to it. Even then, from what I've read, the HD600's are not a MAJOR improvement.

Try the CMOY. For $30, what have you got to loose? You can get a better amp and keep the CMOY for portable use.

BTW I have HD600's and a 3V TAH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back