Clueless - what the hell do I buy?
Nov 7, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #16 of 20
What headphones are you using?  As the previous posters said, in general, most inexpensive headphones won't be greatly improved with an amp.

The other thing your should do is check the quality of your headphone out.  First, see what audio codec it uses.  To check this, go to your device manager and see what's listed under sound devices.  In general, most Realtek codecs are pretty decent.  The other thing to check for is interference.  To check this, turn off all your sounds and see if you can hear any noise coming from your headphones.  You'll hear hissing, clicking, and other machine noises if there's a lot of interference from the other laptop components.

If your headphones are inexpensive/easy to drive, you have decent codecs, and there isn't much/any interference with your headphone jack, then an amp or DAC won't do much for you.

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #17 of 20
I notice you have a pair of GR07. Are they quite good at isolating. I may just want to pick a pair up for its good isolation, although I hear they do sound really good as well. Especially with these ********** doing construction work on the neighboring property.This $hits gonna be going on for months :frowning2:

Quote:
What headphones are you using?  As the previous posters said, in general, most inexpensive headphones won't be greatly improved with an amp.

The other thing your should do is check the quality of your headphone out.  First, see what audio codec it uses.  To check this, go to your device manager and see what's listed under sound devices.  In general, most Realtek codecs are pretty decent.  The other thing to check for is interference.  To check this, turn off all your sounds and see if you can hear any noise coming from your headphones.  You'll hear hissing, clicking, and other machine noises if there's a lot of interference from the other laptop components.

If your headphones are inexpensive/easy to drive, you have decent codecs, and there isn't much/any interference with your headphone jack, then an amp or DAC won't do much for you.

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 20

Quote:
I notice you have a pair of GR07. Are they quite good at isolating. I may just want to pick a pair up for its good isolation, although I hear they do sound really good as well. Especially with these ********** doing construction work on the neighboring property.This $hits gonna be going on for months :frowning2:

They isolate pretty well (and sound excellent).  It mostly depends on seal though; if you can get a good seal, then you can't hear someone talking next to you. Getting a good seal and making them comfortable can be difficult if you have oddly-shaped ears like me though.  I can only wear mine for about 3 hours before they get too painful to leave in.  10-20 mins and I can go another few hours again.  I do get a decent seal though.

YMMV on the comfort thing - others have said that they're the most comfortable IEMs they've ever worn and they don't notice them at all, even after several hours.

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #19 of 20

Quote:
They isolate pretty well (and sound excellent).  It mostly depends on seal though; if you can get a good seal, then you can't hear someone talking next to you. Getting a good seal and making them comfortable can be difficult if you have oddly-shaped ears like me though.  I can only wear mine for about 3 hours before they get too painful to leave in.  10-20 mins and I can go another few hours again.  I do get a decent seal though.

YMMV on the comfort thing - others have said that they're the most comfortable IEMs they've ever worn and they don't notice them at all, even after several hours.

Interesting. Yeah my IE8s gave me a good seal when I use to own them. And I couldn't hear people talking next to me as well (especially when music is playing). I also heard these IEMs give more isolation than the IE8 which is pleasing. If the IE80s doesn't come out to be the IEM it should be (a clear improvement over the IE8) then I will be getting this IEM to replace my IE8. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back