Clueless about DAPs...Couple Quick Questions
Jun 7, 2015 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Focker

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all...so I have a 160g Classic iPod circa 2009, but my ALAC music folder is now over 300g. 

I have an outboard HD to serve as a backup for my music, but I was curious if it was also feasible to get a DAP that could hold my entire lossless library, is ALAC compatible, and is of good quality. 

My iPod still works great, it's just annoyign to always have to manage the library, clicking on/off which tracks I want to have on the iPod and which I dont. Would much rather have access to my entire library and have great sound on the go, too. 

Thanks, and sorry for the newb-ness! I just don't know a thing about this area of the hobby. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 3
If you are happy with the SQ of your iPod (and you are comfortable with DIY), then you may consider swapping out the existing HDD for either

1. An SD card adaptor + high-capacity SDXC card (256G/512G etc); or
2. An SSD

Try the iPod SSD mod thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread

Other than the iPod, there are DAPs that take one full-size SDXC card or 2 microSDXC cards (such as FIIO X5, Questyle QP1 etc). It really depends on your budget..

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 3
  If you are happy with the SQ of your iPod (and you are comfortable with DIY), then you may consider swapping out the existing HDD for either

1. An SD card adaptor + high-capacity SDXC card (256G/512G etc); or
2. An SSD

Try the iPod SSD mod thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread

Other than the iPod, there are DAPs that take one full-size SDXC card or 2 microSDXC cards (such as FIIO X5, Questyle QP1 etc). It really depends on your budget..

Thank you, this is excellent info that I hadn't even considered! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back