clou red modding
Jun 14, 2002 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ray4jc

100+ Head-Fier
has anyone ever took the 1/4 plug off of the clou red and replaced it with anything...like a mini plug...or rca.....?????

anyone???

just wondering...thanks

ray

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 6
Um....why would you replace it with a male RCA?
Also, what's wrong with the 1/4" termination?
wink.gif
Makes it look expensive to your average consumer guy. LoL

Hehe....if you really want man, you can always buy a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. Seriously, you won't lose that much sound degradation.

Hm....I think I spelled that word wrong.
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 6
One thing to consider is that more than one person here is convinced that a 1/4" plug sounds better "due to the more surface area". I generally think that's hogwash but it does bring a valid point.

I thought of modding the cable in the same way you are (perhaps it's something with *that* cable?). But I realized if I ever wanted to sell it (which I did or you wouldnt have it) it would likly impact the sale price in a negative way.

I used a RatShack gold-plated adapter but would recommend considering the Grado adapter from Headroom. This way, if you decide to sell it in the future (and I'm betting you will) you won't risk alienating a part of your potential customer audience that performs strange voodoo sacrafices to the audio gods before each listening session.

One could argue that the 'ultimate' mod is to solder the wire directly to the amps output using silver eucetic solder. I personnaly think you would get more out of this than the difference between 1/4 vs. 1/8" plugs. :wink:

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
One could argue that the 'ultimate' mod is to solder the wire directly to the amps output using silver eucetic solder. I personnaly think you would get more out of this than the difference between 1/4 vs. 1/8" plugs. :wink: [/B]

That's a little "hardcore" now dont' you think?
biggrin.gif

Even for us crazy head-fi enthusiastists.......
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 6
i know somone thought of modding there clou red with separate left and right chanel plugs..hehe....
very_evil_smiley.gif

i'm not gonna do anything to mine except buy an adapter
rolleyes.gif

i just wanted to see if anyone actually had modded theres..

thanks for the replies

ray

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by ray4jc
i know somone thought of modding there clou red with separate left and right chanel plugs..hehe....
very_evil_smiley.gif

i'm not gonna do anything to mine except buy an adapter
rolleyes.gif

i just wanted to see if anyone actually had modded theres..

thanks for the replies

ray

Theres no point really... Both channels share a signal return. You would need two Clou's to make that do anything useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back