Closing In On First Headphones.
Apr 19, 2018 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Slipknirvana

New Head-Fier
The budget is $300 including a Mixamp. While I do use a Microphone it can come a little later. I plan on getting a pair of HD598 or HD599 depending on the price, tomorrow or the next day. I also plan on buying a Mixamp because the controller doesn't seem to want to push out enough juice for the sound quality to be decent. Then I heard that the Mixamp can be particular about what headphones it will use correctly so I decided on the amp in the picture. The actually diagram would probably look like:
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/8265293_thumb.png

The optical-to the Mixamp-to the headphone amp-to the headphones.

I don't really want to ask any questions. So I assume that the 3.5" splitter between the Mixamp to the headphone amp will actually improve sound quality instead of hurting it. I will also be waiting to buy the headphone amp so the budget is $300 for the headphones plus the Mixamp.

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 11
The splitter isn't to improve sound. The Mixamp has a single 3.5mm jack that accepts both sound out and mic in. It's purely so you can use both at the same time. Some other soundcards will have separate jacks so they don't need the splitter. You need to be aware there are several types of splitters... a TRRS (4 pole) to dual TRS is what you need. A TRS (3 pole) to dual TRS is to allow 2 headphones to listen to the same source at once.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #3 of 11
The splitter isn't to improve sound. The Mixamp has a single 3.5mm jack that accepts both sound out and mic in. It's purely so you can use both at the same time. Some other soundcards will have separate jacks so they don't need the splitter.

I didn't want the splitter connection to make the sound worse than it would have been had the headphone amp not been in between the headphones plus the Mixamp.

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 11
Hope it is okay to bump this. Just wanted more opinions I guess. I am trying my hardest to stay deadset on the HD598 pair then I look at the Game 0nes, hear they are basically a HD598 which made me want to consider them. It would probably save about 50-100 dollars because of price difference while also not needing to buy an amp.

I can understand that there will always be a better pair; I just enjoy real good sound. It is so immersive even without bass. I tried the A40's at a stand in Gamestop to be presently surprised that they had a pretty big soundstage although I didn't quite feel like I was in middle of the action.

Plus I may use them in public. I see the HD598 set as something pretty good looking.

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 11
You are probably not going to want to use the HD598 in 'public,' as they are a fully open headphone and will prominently leak sound both out of and into the headphone. Better maybe to get an IEM or a portable closed headphone for public (subway, bus, school, cityscape) settings.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 11
Going to cut out the Mixamp to get the HD598 plus a basic SMSL amp+DAC, the SD793. I don't have a clue what any of this meant. However, I heard the HD598 amp can go up to 350 ohm with bass, meaning the amp wouldn't 100% utilize the 598 set; any other combos like the SM793 that could do that?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back