Closeout on iRiver PCDPs
Aug 23, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #136 of 151
It is stated on the product page that the item consists of the player and remote, nothing else.

I wonder if they sell (separatelly) AC adapters for it. Is it there something special about the AC adapter for iMP-550?

If not, does anybody know if regular AC adapters available in local stores could be used?

Aug 23, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #137 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioExplorer
It is stated on the product page that the item consists of the player and remote, nothing else.

I wonder if they sell (separatelly) AC adapters for it. Is it there something special about the AC adapter for iMP-550?

If not, does anybody know if regular AC adapters available in local stores could be used?

From The Slim-X IMP-550 Close-out page at iRiver...

This item is a bare SlimX CD player and LCD remote only, these parts are new, but not retail packaged. Not included: Batteries, AC adapter, headphones, manual, etc. We have a limited amount of these accessories available and can be purchased separately. Once these parts sell out, we will not be able to provide more. We can provide the AC adapter specifications upon request, but it will be your responsibility to purchase compatible accessories separately

At the bottom of that page is a link for information on AC Adapters...apparently adapters are available for $7.99

Aug 23, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #138 of 151
Received mine in perfect, scratch-free, condition. It has original firmware 1.05 (can be updated to 1.81 from iriver.com). I'm using two Sony "gumstick" batteries and a Sony 4.5v 1000mah regulated power supply. Be aware that the the headphone opening on the remote is recessed, so a bit unusual -- right angle plugs and 1/4" to 1/8" adapted plugs may not fit properly. However, the Sennheiser PX-100 fit perfectly.

As with my iMP-350, the iMP-550 will occasionally reboot when accessing an OGG file (with firmware 1.81). Also, the iMP-550 FM sensitivity does not seem to be quite as good as the iMP-350. The iMP-550 does have the huge advantage of accepting a wider range of OGG files: 96-256 kbps.

The version I received is black with the black remote, each packaged separately. The construction of the iMP-550 is solid: cast magnesium on the upper and lower halves with a plastic "core". Optical out is present.

Not a bad deal for $35.00 + shipping.

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #139 of 151
If you want to make a connector, it's available at ratshack as the "coax style dc power plug", the one with the yellow tip. More generically, 4.0mm outside diameter, 1.7mm inside diameter. Just to be complete, the connector is positive center, 4.5 VDC. The battery pack is fine with 2.4VDC--two NiMH batteries, just like the gumsticks inside. The battery pack connector has a second pin on it adjacent to this 4.0/1.7 connector. Perhaps it switches the voltage expectation between 2.4/3.0VDC and 4.5VDC.

Maybe I'll get around to experimenting. Maybe my CD player dies in the process. Maybe someone else wants to do this first and report. Maybe I'll buy a second one for this cheap.

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #140 of 151
I should have payed more attention for the available accessories, when checking the close-out page. I was doing a lot of other things and it slipped my mind... Thanks...

D555,
how do you feel about your new iMP-550 compared to D-NE10?

These are the two players I am currently considering. The difference in cost is not an issue for me, if D-NE10 offers perceivably better performance. My most important concern is sound quality.

Thanks to all...

Aug 28, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #141 of 151
frown.gif
I just received my 550 from iRiver and tore open the box. I plugged in the AC adapter I bought with it, a tight fit and then it gave. Dead player.

IRIVER IS SHIPPING THE WRONG AC ADAPTER WITH THE 550S!!!!

I called support and they are shipping everything new and proper to me, very nice. If you ordered your adapter with the 550, save yourself the time and trouble, DON"T USE IT! Call iRiver and verify you have the proper AC adapter. I tried using the gumstick batteries from my 350, but the iRiver tech said the 550 uses different gumstick batteries than a 350. Is this so? I thought thay all used standard Sony style gumsticks, any input?

Aug 29, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #142 of 151
Gumsticks are gumsticks - these only come in 1 size, they are a size like AAA's are a size.

I just got my bare bones 550/remote today, but I also ordered a 550 power adapter which did not fit the player, called Iriver estore support and they said based on the model of the adapter that was shipped, it was an adapter that belongs to the H10 series MP3 players. They said they will send out the proper one, we shall see.

Aug 29, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #143 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmichael
Gumsticks are gumsticks - these only come in 1 size, they are a size like AAA's are a size.

I just got my bare bones 550/remote today, but I also ordered a 550 power adapter which did not fit the player, called Iriver estore support and they said based on the model of the adapter that was shipped, it was an adapter that belongs to the H10 series MP3 players. They said they will send out the proper one, we shall see.

You will get different performance from different gumsticks. Some have a longer "life" between charges than others...

Aug 30, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #144 of 151
Sep 6, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #145 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drpepper
frown.gif
I just received my 550 from iRiver and tore open the box. I plugged in the AC adapter I bought with it, a tight fit and then it gave. Dead player.

IRIVER IS SHIPPING THE WRONG AC ADAPTER WITH THE 550S!!!!

Iriver initially shipped me the wrong adapter, then they shipped out another adapter which was the same as the original wrong adapter. Iriver support is/was atrocious and downright rude over the phone, so I had to resort to asking for a manager/supervisor to settle this case. So far they have not contacted me since my original complaint 3 business days ago.

Then today, I looked at the website and it says that the AC adapter for the Slimx 550/900 is SOLD OUT.

Be careful buying these closeout 550's, you NEED the original adapter to recharge the gumsticks. I know that Iriver h120 and h140 players are very sensitive to the power they get and there are numerous cases of bricked players due to using the wrong adapter. In some cases the motherboards get fried using non-oem adapter with the same voltage rating as the original.

Sep 6, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #146 of 151
Using a Sony AC-E45A with great results with the iMP-550 closeout. This AC adapter is *regulated* which means that it outputs a constant 4.5vdc up to the rated 1000ma current draw of the adapter's design. *unregulated* 4.5vdc adapters are designed to output 4.5 at a certain current draw. If enough current isn't drawn then the output voltage may be much higher than 4.5vdc required, if too much current is drawn then the voltage may be less than 4.5vdc.

Sep 9, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #149 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmichael
Iriver initially shipped me the wrong adapter, then they shipped out another adapter which was the same as the original wrong adapter. Iriver support is/was atrocious and downright rude over the phone, so I had to resort to asking for a manager/supervisor to settle this case. So far they have not contacted me since my original complaint 3 business days ago.

I also received the wrong power adapter with my initial order. Used the email link on the website to report the problem. Got a polite reply back within 24 hours. The correct replacement part arrived today, about a week after I asked for it. No complaints here. The player works fine. Now I'm just waiting for a set of gumsticks to arrive...

A big "thank you" to the original poster for pointing out this sweet deal.

Rick

Sep 10, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #150 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickEvans
A big "thank you" to the original poster for pointing out this sweet deal. Rick

I second that "big thank you." I got one IMP-550 because of the "first round" of this thread and another thanks to the "second round." I think I probably spent a bit under a hundred bucks for two nice portable CDP's (one with a complete set of accessories...) Everything works as expected. Overall, just what I needed at a great price...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back