closed
Apr 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

1000+ Head-Fier
just got my e-q5s and am delighted with the sound, even without much burn in.

however, music greed has no end, and am wondering what others would recommend.
i have a good stereo setup at home, so i am unwilling to get cans, only iems.
and since im using a clip zip, i really dont want to carry around an amp either.

i am currently interested in getting a ck10, but any other suggestions?

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 7
The Ck10, GR07, Klipsch Image X5, Sennheiser IE80, HF5 and RE272 are recommended.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 7
I love the Shure SE535 straight from my iPhone for all sub-genres of classical music (especially opera).  Otherwise, maybe try the Westone 4 or the Grado GR10.  The Klipsch Image X10 would be my choice over the Etymotics.  I thought that Etymotics sounded nice, but not straight from a portable player--they seem to need more voltage (or something) to get the bass working.  They were really nice out of my MacBook Pro; not at all out of my iPhone.

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I love the Shure SE535 straight from my iPhone for all sub-genres of classical music (especially opera).  Otherwise, maybe try the Westone 4 or the Grado GR10.  The Klipsch Image X10 would be my choice over the Etymotics.  I thought that Etymotics sounded nice, but not straight from a portable player--they seem to need more voltage (or something) to get the bass working.  They were really nice out of my MacBook Pro; not at all out of my iPhone.

I just could never get used to how the SE535 presented strings.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 7
i have tried both the 535 and westone 4s, and i personally prefer the westones.

some have said that the gr10s sound like the e-q5s, can anyone comment?

the ie80... well, i have also auditioned them and i feel like the sound does not live up to even the e-q5.

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 7
Is it that the SE535 pushes them up to far in the mix?  I had to get used to that myself.  For me, I think they render chamber performances and piano quite nicely, especially with my receiver.  I couldn't get used to the sleepy feeling of the W4.  They seemed to need too much volume to sound alive.  Never had the GR10 (had the GR8 and loved them), but did audition a pair.  If it weren't for the fit, I would rate them above the SE535.

Quote:

I just could never get used to how the SE535 presented strings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back