Closed under $200 ?
Aug 14, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yup, some phones exhibit an uncomfortable amount of clamping force on your noggin and stretching them a bit can improve comfort.

OK, now I see what you mean.
smily_headphones1.gif
These things (HD280pro) really do clamp! I stretched them over my PC overnight, and things are much improved. Still not nearly as comfortable as my HD595s, but the stretching really helped. Thanks again for the tips.

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #32 of 41
I actually have a similar request, so I'll just post it in this thread... I want some closed phones with the following requirements:

- sound good straight from ipod (no need for amp)
- under $200, and around $100 would be ideal
- foldable or compact
- isolate well

So far, I've got the following options, and I'll also list the potential concerns that I've seen about them on head-fi... if something is erroneous, please let me know:

- Sennheiser HD-25-1: perhaps the best-sounding; not foldable, so I don't know how they can be too portable
- AT-ES7 - need amp to sound good? (I've seen yeses and noes on this)
- Equation RP-21 - not much info about them... sound good without amp? Foldable?
- Sony MDR-V6 - perhaps don't sound as good as some of the slightly more expensive competition
- Ultrasone HFI 650 Trackmaster - don't sound ideal
- Sennheiser HD-280 - big, ugly, uncomfortable, and doubtably better sound than V6's.
- any Beyerdynamic headphones - should probably use amp (except maybe DT 660?)
- AKG K 181 DJ - not too portable?
- AKG K 81 DJ - potentially good

OK, so - am I right in my above criticisms, am I missing any, etc.? What other options do I have? Thanks!

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get yourself velour pads, they increase comfort tremendously.

where can you get velour pads, from akg? do they just swap out?

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #34 of 41
i'm surprised there hasn't been more comments on the senn hd 25-1s. they can be had for under $200 and from reviews i've read, sound great.

they definitely don't get much recognition here, but seems like they should get more.

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #35 of 41
HD25-1s with stock cable is not as good as many people expected. Replacing cable is the way to squeezzzzzzze.. their full potential. Of course, it' about more money.

also, it's not any comfy when using pleather pads. Velour pads may help a bit.

Aug 14, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by shleepy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- Sennheiser HD-25-1: perhaps the best-sounding, but need custom cord for full potential... I'm not willing to spend a lot on the phones and then another $100 for a good cable; also, not foldable, so I don't know how they can be too portable

Standard HD650 cable, which is like $20, works as well.

Quote:

- AT-ES7 - need amp to sound good?

Absolutely not, sounds great straight out of DAP.
Quote:

- Ultrasone HFI 650 Trackmaster - haven't seen many people write about it,
except for one review that seems to make this out to be a good option

Quite exciting at first listen, fatiguing in a long term due to bright highs, midrange is on the weak side, IIRC.

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #39 of 41
I found pink noise to actually be the best burn in method over just playing loud music for a long time.

As for headphone comfort and stretching them over some books or a pillow.... I think the best method is to use your head as the stretch mechanism. I went through about 2 weeks of uncomfortable pressure which resulted in the cans molding to my head for a perfect fit that no longer hurts now.

Although, if you got lucky and didn't stretch them past the size of your head you'd be ok right? Last set of cans I stretched I went too far and they just sagged and my ears had to hold them up instead of my head because they didn't really stay close.

The HD650 cable is quite easy to get. You can purchase it directly through sennheisers online store or through the 1800 number. it's like $11.23 + $5 shipping.

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Sony MDR-V6 - just don't sound as good as some of the slightly more expensive competition
Sennheiser HD-280 - big, ugly, uncomfortable, and only questionably better sound than V6's.
OK, so - am I right in my above criticisms, am I missing any, etc.? What other options do I have? Thanks!

You asked, so....to *my* ears, the V6 is way better than the HD280, and DOES sound as good (or better) than some of the more expensive competition. And I own lots of more-$$$ cans.
I don't know where you got both of your above statements.
confused.gif

And I own both, so this is actual experience, not guessing on hearsay.

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You asked, so....to *my* ears, the V6 is way better than the HD280, and DOES sound as good (or better) than some of the more expensive competition. And I own lots of more-$$$ cans.
I don't know where you got both of your above statements.
confused.gif

And I own both, so this is actual experience, not guessing on hearsay.

Oh, I believe you!
smily_headphones1.gif
It's just that, after reading through 3-4 large threads about closed, portable headphones, I am more undecided than ever... All the threads seem to have different most-recommended headphones, and I was just surprised that V6's were not particularly popular in any of them. I might just end up with them, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back