Closed unamped all-rounder with best midrange <250£
Oct 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

3mhil

New Head-Fier
Coming from disappointment with Westone 3 I decided to give closed cans a chance this time. I will use them at home and outdoors/commuting so size certainly matters.
It has to perform well unamped since i will use it with sansa clip.
Was about to take a plunge on ATH M50 until i heard about recessed mids. I mostly listen to rock and guitar is the most improtant instrument for me therefore i wouldnt stand having to equalise the midrange like i had to on W3.
I dont listen to electronica much so rather bass quality and extension over quantity. I wouldnt like recessed highs either.
Should i go for one of Ultrasones or maybe ATH ESW9 or GMP 8.35 or Senn HD25-1 or something else?
Thanks for any help

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaobao0707 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Technica ESW10, rumor says it's the best portable can available in this planet.

Used, perhaps.

ESW9s are also a good choice
normal_smile .gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 34
Best all-rounder prtable/home 'phone is definitely hd 25 1 ! Very good isolation/comfort/sound compromise, dont need amp. Practicly undestructible own them for 6 years and they are like new ! Only thing bad obout hd 25 is that they can gett little overpriced

Buy hd 25 1 and than do the cable mod, you should try searching threads ......

I forgot if the hd 25 1 is not right for you should try akg k271
AKG has good midrange by default and they are closed

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 34
The hd25 are great cans if you need to block outside noise, ie train street... you'll have to get a hd600 cable if you wnat to enjoy them to the max though, stock cable is made for djs and is very sturdy but doesnt sound too good.
But if you plan to use them in not so noisy environments i'd say esw9 or if your lucky the esw 10 jap (those two cans look great but are a bit fragile).

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 34
What type of commuting do you do? I ask because I looked for a closed headphone for my DC subway commute and never found one that isolated enough. I always wanted to turn up the volume. Subways tend to be pretty loud. On buses, some of the closed headphones might be good enough. Very few closed headphones really isolate that much. For example, here's a Head Room graph for HD280Pro, HD-25-1, ESW9, and K271. None of them attenuate low bass at all, and don't attenuate low bass much. Unfortunately, that's exactly where a lot of the rumble form mass transit is.

graphCompare.php

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 34
are the HD-25 hard to drive from a portable player?

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 34
Without a doubt the K271MKII... amazing midrange and clarity, easily driven from any portable Ive tried them out of too!

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 34
Thanks for replies guys
beerchug.gif

Im traveling to work by bus and coming back by walk trough busy streets so some isolation will be welcome. Thats why I stopped myself from getting ESW10 after I read that they fall short in this area. I wouldnt justify spending this kind of money on something what doesnt isolate descently and is also much more expensive just because its limited edition. I would probably get them totally scratched in a week or two and all the collectible value gone. I also read threads about Senns 25-1 and there was a lot of people complaining about their sound quality. I understand that some part of the sound quality was sacrificed to make those headphones more portable but I dont think I would appreciate this kind of deal since i dont need them that small and thoughts that I could get something a bit bigger but better sounding wouldnt let me sleep at night
wink_face.gif
On the other hand though im afraid of those akg k271 and shures shr840 regarding their big size. I dont wanna look weird wearing huge headphones in public and cant find a lot of pics of people wearing them to see how they look on someone.

Can anyone compare midrange between hd25-1 and ath m-50?
Do You think I would be better off sound quality wise(not isolation) giving onother chance to some IEM different than W3 at the same price point?

aaargh it would be so much easier if only i could just try them all at once
rolleyes.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #15 of 34
The 271s are kinda big but the plus side is that they look really cool on your head... or maybe Im just hardcore enough to pull it off (LOL j/k). The sound is truly worth any drawbacks in looking like a nerd, i promise, I wear mine in public all the time and have had nothing but inquisitive and positive comments about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back