Closed Supra-aural dorm headphones for 100ish
Aug 19, 2007 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

xlinx22

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm rather new to headphones. I've been doing some research looking for a nice pair of headphones for college. I decided to get a closed supra-aural headphones. My friend told me to get the

Audio-Technica ATH-A500

but I have no clue if hes really credible. If its not a problem, would yall recommend a nice pair of headphones for around 100 dollars. I will be using it to listen to rock music and also probably use it for my guitar-amp, unfortunately people will probably hate it when I blast my amp, so I have to use headphones >.<

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 13
Check this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252485

Also, you might want to consider the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7. Assuming the replacement pair that is on its way to me doesn't have the hiss issue my first pair did, they are great phones. I'm also going to be using them in a dorm. I figure the noise canceling will be good to help block out any less than considerate people in adjoining dorms.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a reason why you prefer Supra-Aural over circum-aural? I think you have a lot more options with Circum-aural, I think they generally sound better too.

oh i'm so embarrassed, I meant I was looking for a closed circum-aural. eeek what a misleading title now

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by xlinx22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh i'm so embarrassed, I meant I was looking for a closed circum-aural. eeek what a misleading title now

Hey don't be embarrassed.........and i think the best circumaurals for 100 or less is the HD280 by sennheiser. Sony MDR 7506 are good too

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 13
I would also recommend the HD280s. I've been using some for about 2 years in my dorm and they isolate sound very well while being comfortable. I can wear them indefinitely, although they can get a bit sweaty after a bit. I have a friend in the same situation who also owns a pair and is very happy with them as well.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

I figure the noise canceling will be good to help block out any less than considerate people in adjoining dorms.

but according to numerous reviews online...the sound leakage might be too inconsiderate for other people.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 13
I'd go with either the HD 280's, HD 515's or the EH 250's, all by sennheiser. The 250's are going for like sixty bucks on Headroom. Thats a steal.

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 13
If you can sprout $50 more, you can get yourself a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770's :p

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can sprout $50 more, you can get yourself a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770's :p

Honestly, I'd avoid them unless you have something with a rather powerful output. I tried them at guitar center and unless you have an amp that 80 ohm impedance is too much.

Also, I'll say I prefered the sound of my ATH-ANC7s to that of the HD280 Pro. Granted, neither were burned in so that could change with time.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #13 of 13
tl;dr - looking for help.

Hi, my father recently forgot a pair of Senn HD25's in a hotel, so he needs a replacement. He absolutely loved the sound form my AKG K141 MKII's, even when driven from his iPod Nano 5th gen, and these headphones, despite their low impedance, are not the easiest to drive. I would look for a pair of those, but he travels a great deal so portability and isolation are factors to take into consideration.

So in summation, I am looking for a pair of supra-aural headphones that are portable, easy to drive, with a decent mids/his, and that isolate pretty well. I'm looking to spend ~$130, and have no issue going to the used market.

He listens to largely classical, namely orchestral, music, and a fair share of 60's to late 70's rock and pop. (The Beatles, The Who, Creedance, Floyd, Jethro Tull, Beach Boys etc....)

Thanks ahead for any assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back