Closed rock-phone for around 150-250$
Jan 11, 2007 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Chopha

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Folks!

At this moment i'm sitting with a pair of Grado SR60's and most of the time i really do like them. But now I'm in a big need of some closed headphones because of all the sound leaking in through my Grados makes them unuseable on my way to school.
What I like with my Grado's is the detailed sound, but the hights kills me sometimes - usually with disted music as metal.

I've been thinking about the Beyer Dynamics DT-770 phones which I think will suit me fine, but I want you guys to give other alternatives that are good at Hard Rock/Metal.

I have already tried the AKG K 81 DJ and the Sennheiser HD 25 SP1 and I found them to "muddy" and dark in the sound.

(sorry for my lousy english)
Thank you...
/Chopha

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 66
Compared to the Grado - yes.
But how are they compared to the AKG phone and the Sennheiser phone that i've tried?

/Chopha

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 66
DT770, too muddy and lacks mids. Sennheisers, too veiled and unenergic and definetly too dark.

Ultrasone ProLine 750 perhaps? They should be somewhat bright if I understood descriptions properly. But im not sure about midrange energy, the thing that sounds really good with metal.

Im interested in this subject too, I hope there is some closed headphones that would be energic and aggressive, perfect for metal. All headphones I have, besides K81DJ, are open or semi-open.

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 66
Thanks for all the help.

But how about semi-open phones like DT-880? How are they to use out on the streets and on the buss?
I know that they both (DT-770 & DT880) are a bit hard to drive straight out of my Ipod, but my intention is to buy a portable amp pretty soon, so that wont be any problem.

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 66
Semiopen isnt enough. It more like seals sound from leaking out, but outside noises coming in are just muffled. They are still just as loud as before, so no.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 66
But how are the sound of the DT-880 compared to DT-770?

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But how are the sound of the DT-880 compared to DT-770?

DT770 has V-style sound. VERY enhanced bass that most likely gets blurry in fast doublebass drumming, not to mention covers guitars under them and recessed mids would only make that worse. Treble is also enhanced.

DT880 has flat sound. Bass is tight and kicking, but its lean in quantity. Very nice for fast double bassing and sounds very real, but i wish there was bit more of it. If you like Grados bass, you wont have problems with DT880 bass.
Midrange is also analytical and highs have a spike that gives it bit more energic and brighter presentation. I like this headphone for metal a lot. Not "magical" as my Grado, but overall much more superior in everything else.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770 has V-style sound. VERY enhanced bass that most likely gets blurry in fast doublebass drumming, not to mention covers guitars under them and recessed mids would only make that worse. Treble is also enhanced.

Even with the 2005 version?

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even with the 2005 version?

Contact Skylab. He can tell you helluva lot more. He has compared old and new side by side. I have no information about new version, except it has less bass then older ones.

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 66
you should also consider the beyer dt250-250 for portable use. it's smaller than the dt770 and has a nice, balanced sound (with a good amp). it also has a one-sided coiled cord, which is more forgiving is you snag it.

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #14 of 66
If you found the HD25 muddy, you'll probably crap your pants over the PROline 750. Very nice, airy closed can with good bass response - though they are bright. Try before you buy - for some reason it seems that Ultrasones just don't go over well here.

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #15 of 66
How about considering the Sony V6's, they are not as thick sounding as the dt770's and have the clarity of the Grados, without maybe some of the refinement. But they are closed, easy to drive with a portable player, have a "mini" plug on the end of a coiled cable and fold up nicely for travel. They also have a rugged build so they should stand up to the demands of portable use. I used to use them when I rode the bus and they worked great. US price on them is about $80.00, or so.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back