closed, portable, un-amped sub-$200 phones
Aug 17, 2007 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

shleepy

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, I realize that there's a new thread similar to mine every week or so, but I still haven't got enough info to decide which headphones to buy, mostly for use straight out of my ipod... I've gone about my research pretty methodically but haven't found answers to some questions about the competing headphones that I am interested in. If anyone could answer my questions/concerns (confirm/disconfirm, etc.) about whichever headphones you have experience with, please do so.
3000smile.gif

Here's a list of headphones that I'm still interested in, and concerns/questions about them:

1) Beyerdynamic DT660 - look like a good option; I believe they fold, so are they really MUCH less portable than V6's?
2) AKG K 181 DJ - potentially a good option; comfort is a concern, what with it being a sort of a hybrid between supra-aural and circumaural designs.
3) Sennheiser HD-25-1: perhaps the best-sounding ones, but only with custom cord; not foldable/collapsible, so I don't know why people keep saying they're very portable, even if they're light and relatively small. Biggest concern - relatively expensive
- Sony MDR-V6 - perhaps don't sound as good as some of the slightly more expensive competition
- AT-ES7 - Some people say it needs amp to sound good
- AKG K 81 DJ - don't sound as good as 181's

Ones I've ruled out:

- Equation RP-21 - not portable enough for my needs
- Sennheiser HD-280 - frankly, I'd rather go with V6's if I want to go in this price range
- Ultrasone HFI 650 Trackmaster - get tiring in the long run because of the strong treble?
- Beyer DT770

OK, so just to clarify - my priorities are: sound, isolation, portability (in the sense that I can bring it somewhere in a bag/backpack safely), and comfort. I'm thinking I might be biased toward circumaural designs, though, so I'll excuse size if the headphones are foldable or something.

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 12
My diagnosis is V6. Check eBay, I almost pulled a trigger on a pair today for very similar reasons. Should you? What do I care!
icon10.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO you can rule out the DT770, IMHO it is on the bass-flabby side under-amped.

Point taken, moving it now. I actually anticipated something like this, and only added them as an after-thought. TY!

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by shleepy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Point taken, moving it now. I actually anticipated something like this, and only added them as an after-thought. TY!

I need to edit my post...

My comments are directed towards the 2003 model DT770-80 (the all black one) I once owned.

I have never heard the newer ones.

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 12
The Beyer DT660 is a full-sized can. Isolation is good. I find it comfortable, but not as comfortable as the DT990. It's presentation is bright, but very smooth and non-fatiguing IMO. The bass is a bit weak in presence, but it can be punchy and it's tight.

The K81DJ is the antithesis of that.

I dislike the V6. It's bright, but sharp. It hurt my ears. Whereas the DT660 is bright and smooth. Big difference IMO.

Portability, the DT660 is full-sized, so it's big. The V6 is considerably smaller with a headband that isn't as rigid. If portability weren't a big issue, I'd easily take the DT660 over the V6 (actually, I have).

Aug 18, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 12
OK, so I actually got some HD25-1's from eBay.
Everyone says to replace the cable for a copper one. A couple of people recommended the standard HD650 replacement cable (which is around $11 + shipping from Sennheiserusa.com). Other than that, do I have any other options in the ultra-low price range? Perhaps a coiled one? Also, I'm gonna guess that I should get THIS GUY, as well, or do the HD25-1's or the HD650 replacement cable already come with a 1/8" adapter?

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 12
I did a big research project on this. Schleepy seems to fall in the consensus with the HD25-1 (to be distinguished from the unportable, cheaper version). Should cost exactly $200, with good isolation.

I chose the more reasonable Audio Technica ATH-ES7. It flattens for easy use, and comes in white or black. Nothing in this range offers top isolation, but SQ has a sweet treble and satisfactory bass. Has decent comfort, but not for long periods. It's very handsome and easy to carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back