Closed portable for around $300 or lower
Jun 15, 2012 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Flillycake

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new to Headfi and am looking around for a new headphone.  The only headphones I've had other than the apple stock earbuds were the grado sr60i.  These don't really suite me because I normally use my headphones while walking around my campus and I'm rarely in my home.  I am looking for a closed back headphone that can isolate pretty well at around the price range of $300.  I'm also looking for something that won't break on me very easily as I will be taking them pretty much everywhere with me.  Music genres that I listen to frequenty are 70's rock (Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Pink Floyd, The Who) and hip hop.  I listen to pretty much everything else as well.  
Some headphones that I were thinking about getting based on reviews were:
-Sennheiser hd25-1 ii
-Beyerdynamic DT1350
-AKG K550
-Shure 940
-V-moda m80
-Bower and Wilkins P5

I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions as there are so many headphones within the $300 price range.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)!

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm a big fan of the M-80. The Sony MDR Z1000 is another headphone that's portable, isolating,  comfortable, and have great SQ. If you do become interested in the Z1000, feel free to check out my listing.

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks guys.  I was really considering either the Beyerdynamic DT1350 or the m80s since they seem very easy to lug around :).  Also, thanks for the offer Roma I'll take a look at that headphone.

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 10
DT1350 are excellent sounding and very good isolating portable cans but be aware that it might take some time and patience to have them on correctly on your head to accomplish best comfort isolation and sound especially bass but trying it is the only way to find out if they are for you and deffinetely worth the hustle. I heard K550 on few different setups including my Cowon A3 player and they lacking deep bass best noticeable on classical or jazz

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 10
I own the hd25s and very happy with them. Soundstage is nonexistent though but the clarity of the mids are just stunning. I always feel like the hd25s bass is crisp and clean and the highs though are a bit less controlled. I can't comment on the other cans because I don't know much about about them.

I use mine as my portables and they work well unamped. Build quality is awesome and it's compact enough for my backpack.

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 10
^spend an extra $150 for new material cups and a mic? :/ no...don't do it.

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
^spend an extra $150 for new material cups and a mic? :/ no...don't do it.

I don't necessarily think he should go with the Amperiors... they're basically a more sensitive HD25 with higher quality (better sounding) cups. Particularly if he isn't planning on getting a portable amp I think they're at least worth looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back