Closed, portable and affordable?
May 7, 2006 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

TerminallyOdd

New Head-Fier
I need something for my daily commute to compliment my new Zen Vision mp3 player. I listen to all kinds of music, and so I just something that's decent all around, though not completely lacking in bass.

I just picked up the Sennheiser MX60 from J&R and aside from feeling loose on my head, they leak WAY too much sound. I mean, the person next to me on a screechy NYC train can hear what I'm listening to, nevermind using them at the office. I also find it hard to hear even when cranked up pretty high because of all the sound coming through...so I plan to return them.

I guess I would be looking for something that's closed, or perhaps open but with little sound leakage? I would like to keep it under $50 and would strongly prefer streetstyle, though I'd take suggestions for over the heads. Earbuds don't ever seem to fit me, and I'm not enticed by the idea of IEM's.

Oh, and I hate to sound shallow, but the options I'm aware of that fit my criteria, are pretty ugly...namely the PMX200's and SportaPro's. I like the look of the Sony Streetstyles, but I've heard bad things about them. The PMX60's look nice as well. I had the KSC-55's which broke on me, but again, I would prefer something closed.

SUMMARY:

Portable for mp3 player (prefer streetsyle, though open to over the head). No buds or IEM's.
$50 or less. (pretty flexible, though)
Listen to all kinds of music, though I do like a good amount of bass.
Aesthetically pleasing.

So what are my options?

May 7, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 48
You're not going to find many streetstyle closed headphones that are good, at least I haven't heard of any.

I'd recommend trying out the Sennheiser HD 280s or the Sony V6s. They are a little out of your budget though, around $80 with shipping. These phones seem to have withstood the test of time on the forums and I haven't seen many bad things said about them.

There are also the Sennheiser HD 201s and the AKG K26P, but those have gotten mixed reviews. Some call the HD 201s lifeless and the newer batches of AKG 26Ps might not be what they used to be.

I'm actually looking for suggestions for a friend with similar requirements as well so I'm interested in any suggestions I might have missed. He bought the AKGs but wasn't too impressed and I'm recommending the Senneheiser 280s but they are a little expensive for him.

May 7, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
Oh, I just forgot, the AKG k81dj. There is a really long thread about those, and a lot of people seem to like them.

Seconded.

May 7, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 48
I think cans like the ones recommended here are a bit much (size-wise) for me...I have a pair of Sennheiser HD212 DJ's for home use, which are fine quality-wise for me (I'm not much of an audiophile, by the way), but something like that is just too big and bulky to take around and throw in my bag.

May 7, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyleow
I don't want to hijack the thread but any suggestions on circumaural closed cans? My friend doesn't like how the AKGs rests on his ears.

The HD201 is circumaural and only $20, but I really wouldn't reccomend it to discerning audiophiles directly out of a portable.

May 7, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

I don't want to hijack the thread but any suggestions on circumaural closed cans? My friend doesn't like how the AKGs rests on his ears.

Well, the A500 are cirumaural. If your friend is looking for something to wear outside, I would reccomend the the HD280. If not, the A500 would work.

May 7, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Probably MDR-V6/7506 or HD-280. Depending on whether you prefer a bass/treble emphasis (V6) or a midrange emphasis (280).

May 7, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminallyOdd
I think cans like the ones recommended here are a bit much (size-wise) for me...I have a pair of Sennheiser HD212 DJ's for home use, which are fine quality-wise for me (I'm not much of an audiophile, by the way), but something like that is just too big and bulky to take around and throw in my bag.

The PX200 or PMX200 might look tempting for a tiny closed headphone. I suppose if you just want something that will produce listenable sound and not leak, they're fine - but you can do quite a bit better for sound quality.

May 7, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #13 of 48
Two to consider (not streetstyle, sorry):

AKG K26P: similar in size to the PX200; bassier; a little bit funnier-looking, but in a retro way that's arguably not uncool.

Audio-Technica ATH-FC7: larger diameter than the PX200 or K26P, but flatter and closer to the head; bassy; not bad-looking (comes in colors - I have the grey).

On me the K26P provides very little isolation from outside sound and the FC7 provides a useful amount. However there's at least one person who's reported the opposite experience.

If you can stretch your budget to accomodate an IEM (I'm thinking specifically of the Shure E2C, possibly a used one, but there are alternatives), you'll have superior isolation, superior portability, good sound, and an unobtrusive look. Highly recommended if you spend time on screechy trains.

May 7, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #15 of 48
Well, I care more about others around me not being able to hear what I'm listening to, than blocking out outside noise. If there are certain open models which don't suffer from much leakage, I'd be fine with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back