Closed phones without hot ears? Is it possible?
Jan 14, 2009 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rebe

New Head-Fier
I'm currently within the return period for a pair of Creative Aurvana Live!, which are nearly identical to the Denon D1001, and the Audio Technica A700. The A700 is far more comfortable and sounds far better, but my ears still get hot.

My problem with the 1001 / Live! was both the sound and the comfort. They sounded much more canned to me, without the depth or soundstage of the Audio Technicas. Since I wear them while working, I find it easier to concentrate if the sound isn't being beamed straight into my brain. Regarding the comfort, the earcups pressed my earlobes against the side of my head, making a earcup/lobe/head sandwich that got hot and sweaty really fast. Unpleasant.

Overall, I like the A700, but I'll return them if I can find something that doesn't make my ears sweat but is still a closed phone. I have the AD700, which are great, but they're big and not suitable for library use (too open). The A700 sound nearly as good to me: much bigger soundstage than the 1001, not quite as big as the AD700; not quite as crisp as the AD700. They don't get much good press around here, but in my opinion they're well worth the $40 over the 1001. Even without the earlobe sandwich, and while far more comfortable overall than the Live!, my ears still get hot after half an hour or so.

So, are there any closed phones that won't make my ears hot? Or is that just an intrinsic part of the design?

Wish list: Closed phone that won't make my ears hot with...
-- fabric / velour ear pads
-- circumaural
-- light clamping force (love the 3d wings of the AT)
-- single side cable
-- wide soundstage
-- no more than $250
-- somewhat portable (fit in largeish backpack with a laptop: I would consider the Live!s semi-portable, but the ATs are just huge)

Will listen to alternative, new wave, electronica, world music. Driven by Macbook Pro, ipod classic, iPhone 3G. No amp.

Any help will be appreciated!

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 8
OK, the AKG K272 look like they'd fit the bill. Should I try those next? I'm also considering the Denon D2000, but after the Live! experience I'm a bit wary of them.

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 8
IMHO the k271 (which is like a k272) made my ears sweat more than a DT250, and are a good bit more bulky (though well-built).

Something with velour pads will help, but if the room you are in is hot you'll sweat - the ears are giant heat radiators.

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 8
The D2000s are plether so i can imagine that they'd get pretty warm.

Ive always wanted to try the K272s but never got the chance. They Look really nice and closed and i hear they are pretty much the K271s but without the detachable cable and velour. I say go for it.

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the GMP 250/240 @ 100 Ohms.
They are closed phones without hot ears, and the most comfortable cans.
But maybe you will need an amp to driver them better.

GMP 250 - GermanMAESTRO Shop

Well, I actually have the GMP 250, and find them very uncomfortable. Those pleather earpads are too small for my big ears. They are sticky and hot as well.

The DT770 2005 consumer edition should fulfil your comfort needs, but they do need an amp.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT770 2005 consumer edition should fulfil your comfort needs, but they do need an amp.

Ah forgot about these, also a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back