Closed phones that ACTUALLY seal well <$300
May 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ricerocket

New Head-Fier
I'm still on my hunt here.

In the past month, I've been through 3 cans. Brainwavz HM5, Ultrasone HFI-580, and now Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, which I like for the most part. What I don't like is it doesn't seal outside noise well (and they're ENORMOUS).

I'm willing to double my budget to $300 to get this done right.

Things I want:

1. Wide soundstage (DJ1 Pros are decent in this regard, 580s not so much)
  2. Good isolation (no leakage out, very little in)
  3. Moderately bassy can (HFI-580s were boomy, HM5s were too flat)

I'd like to be able to use it w/o an amp/EQ in a crunch, but on my desk it will be amp-driven.

AKG K550 w/ an EQ?
HM5 w/ an EQ?

I almost pulled the trigger on some Edition 8s, but reconsidered how poor I would be after. :) But it seems like there are no cans between the DJ1 Pros (@ $150 new) and Edition 8s (@ $900+ used) that fit my needs.

If the Denon D2000/D5000s sealed well, it seems like they'd fit the bill, but alas it does not.

May 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 13
Check out the Philips "Uptown" headphones.  $149.99 at Best Buy.  Great at sealing the music in, and the noise out.  The pads are made of memory foam and rest on your ears, not around them.  The bass is *good* and not boomy.  The whole frequency spectrum is quite well balanced.  The headband and the ear pads are made of protein leather and are very soft and comfortable.

The headphones are not bulky at all and feature some aluminum in the construction as well as double walls on the cups for better sound quality and sound isolation.

Best of luck.

May 10, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 13
I don't think I need active. I just want to be able to hear the nuances of my music without having to crank the volume while I'm at work (and also so I won't be disturbing others).

May 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 13
K181 DJ, so overlooked here... (I preferred it over the DT1350 enough to pass on the Beyerdynamic so I had reason enough to buy the AKG.)

May 10, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 13
I don't think the M80s are even a sealed can?

I found out the local Best Buy has the K550s, I figure I'll give them a go. I've read some reviews that say the bass is plentiful IF you can get a good seal.

May 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 13
theyre not? haha sorry but i only once listened to it at a quiet place so i assumed they are sealed. my bad.

bass of k550 is decent. although you might need a warm amp or source for it, as for me the bass sounds more or less than the q/k701.

May 12, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Denon D2000.

Best headphone in the mid-fi segment fsho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back