Closed Phones - Looking for Extreme Isolation
Apr 19, 2004 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Xerophase

New Head-Fier
I can't seem to find a search function since the forum upgrade, so unfortunately I haven't been able to research this very much before just firing off a question. I'm looking for something fairly specific, though, and wanted to gather some opinions.

I'm looking for a huge amount of isolation in a specific package. Sound quality is important, of course, but in this case it falls behind isolation. I want these phones mainly for yard work; even something I can mow the yard with (I don't expect to totally block out the lawn mower).

After isolation and sound quality, here are the features I'm looking for ordered by importance:

1. Closed Phone (No earbuds, Canals)
2. Happily used without an amp
3. Would like to avoid pleather as it would be too hot
4. Reasonable size (Something like Eggos, not AT900's
biggrin.gif
)
5. Snug fit, so they don't slide around

Hopefully something along these lines is out there. If not, I'm totally open to suggestions of phones that would come close. I'm not overly concerned about budget right now, but I'd say $200 or less is a good starting point.

Thanks a bunch for your time!

Apr 20, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 11
You don't want pleather otherwise HFI-650 would fit very well.
Your other choice is Beyerdynamic DT250-80, they are very comfortable and give a decent isolation.

Apr 20, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 11
HD25-1 have plenty isolation. In fact i sold mine partly b/c i couldn't hear phone ring. Easily drive by ipod. Great bass. Can get too loud.They do come w/pleather but...you can also buy velour pads.
Someone on For Sale forum has a pair for 110.00

Apr 20, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 11
I also recommend the Sennheiser 280 Pros. I wear them at the gym where there's lots of external noise around me and it does a very good job of keeping it out. I think the sound quality of them is actually quite good, especially once they're broken in.

Apr 20, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 11
Ultrasone Hfi-650/700 (depending how you like your bass, 700 has overbass).
+beyer dt-880 pads if you dont like pleather. www.meier-audio.de sells the phones and allso pad's. Good isiolation. Can be runned unamped.

Apr 20, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 11
From my own experience the Beyer DT250 pads fit on the Ultrasone models, but the DT880 pads don't.

The Beyer pads are more comfortable, but they don't isolate as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back