Closed Phones for Mixing a Record
Jun 12, 2007 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

OwlAudio

Head-Fier
I need a pair of closed phones for mixing music on the go. I'll be eqing tracks on the laptop so flattest frequency response possible is critical so I can get a mix that will translate well to other systems. I'm not looking for the 'best soundning' phones but rather the most accurate.

I've been using the frequency graph feature on headroom, which has been very useful. So far it looks like the AKG K240 Studio phones are the flattest. I hear the k271s's recommended alot but the graph favors the k240 studios, FWIW. There's no graph for the Denon a2000 though I hear people recommending these often. Is there any graph out there for these?

I'm also looking into the total bithead amp, as it is cheap and provides dac and amplification in one unit. Do you think this will drive the AKG's nicely? Is the dac an improvement over the macbook pro's stock output?

Do you have any recommendations for accurate closed phones? My budget is flexible and favors quality but ideally I'd like to spend less than $300 on a pair of used phones. I will recable them myself no matter what I get.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 13
Didn't we already have this thread?

Equation RP-21 - spend the other $200 of your budget on beer. This is a pro audio headphone designed for mixing, that just happens to be enjoyably musical as well.

Stax SR001-MKII -- $240 and it comes with it's own portable amp.

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 13
Looks like the RP21's are good for my application. Beer money is a plus too!

They sure are ugly though. Might have to break out the paint can.

If anybody is selling a used pair please PM me...

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by OwlAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the HP21's are good for my application. Beer money is a plus too!

They are not as ugly in person so maybe you can huff the paint while you're drinking the beer.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by OwlAudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the HP21's are good for my application. Beer money is a plus too!

Do you mean RP-21s? If so, I recommend them as well as I own them myself and love them. I do feel they have a strong bass though, and that you might need to mix it accordingly, but then again I find the Sony MDR-7506 a bit bass strong as well. I guess I just find flat frequency response to be a tad bass heavy for most mixes?? Just my opinion though.

But the AKG K240s, though not as good as the K240m or it's older brothers, is a very popular studio headphone like it's older brothers, perhaps the most popular. So that is definitely a good choice regardless, though they are not completely closed. Only semi-sealed, so they will leak a bit of sound. ($100)

Never used or heard the Denons, but the Beyerdynamics are very popular as well, such as the DT250 or the DT770, but the 770 is bass heavy for sure.
basshead.gif
(Both around $150 give or take)

I like the Sony headphones such as the MDR-7506, and I know many professionals use them, but I personally just like the Equation Audio RP-21s more. ($100)

Also, the Sennheiser HD280s are extremely popular as well, but I have never listened to them. ($100)

I hope that helps, as I was in a similar dilemma as you.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 13
I have seen the great comments about the Equations, and they look very promising, but haven't heard them. I can personally recommend the Sony MDR-V6 and 7506. I have witnessed them in use in many studios and professional recording applications, and they are the most trusted single headphone in that world.

And if you need a portable laptop DAC and amp in one package, the Bithead is a great choice.

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 13
Sony MDR-7506
Sony MDR-V6
Sony MDR-V900St (totally uncolored, raw sound)

Don't go for K240 Studios, they're butt.
I can't speak for K271's , although with their FR, I assume they're more suited for tracking acoustic guitar and other mid-dominated instruments, not for an entire mix. Same goes for the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro, probably better for tracking instruments/vocals.

Can't speak on Beyerdynamic DT-250's either, but they may be worth a serious look. Let us know if you compare Beyer 250's to the Sony line.

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 13
I would also warn you, that although the MDR-7506 is probably your best choice, there is one weak spot you will need to switch to almost any other phone or speaker to check. The very high-end "twang" of bass guitar is the MDR-7506's achilles heel, it doesn't represent that fully. Other than that, every other instrument's frequency range is very well represented by the MDR-7506. FYI

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks I actually have the 7506's; they were my 1st 'good' headphone, though I'm not too fond of their sound. I'm leaning towards the RP21's though I'm skeptical given their price. Only way to know is to try, I guess.

btw
Midnight Marauders=One of my all time favs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back