"Closed phone honk"
Dec 11, 2008 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

K.I. Unlimited

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry but I just wanna ask, what's this phrase all about? I've been seeing the phrase used in places like iLounge and blogs, but no places ever really explain the phenomenon in detail.

Need a little help, thanks.

Dec 11, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 12
I think what people generally mean by that is reverberations or distortions in the sound stemming from sound waves reflecting of surfaces inside closed headphones.

This create an overblown honk-like sound similar to the effect you might hear when making a loud sound in a small space with large flat surfaces (a bathroom for instance).

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 12
^ Yeah, I am sure that is what they talk about.
They probably have not heard a well made closed-back headphone then, like the Stax 4070.
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 12
It's more prevalent in cheaper or undamped closed phones. Both my HD280s (notorious for honky mids) and D1001s (apparent especially on piano pieces and sibilant vocals) display this tendency.

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #6 of 12
closed phones resonate in the midrange, but it's minor, and they still manage to sound better than open phones

wtf6uggs9.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mellow Mushroom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
closed phones resonate in the midrange, but it's minor, and they still manage to sound better than open phones

That is certainly up for discussion!
deadhorse.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

you've been smoking/eating too many shrooms.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 12
I would advise against smoking shrooms.

Everyone knows they should be ingested.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mellow Mushroom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, many closed headphones suffer from severe resonance issues. This is due primarily to their excessive empty air space inside the ear cups (and regardless of how thick the ear cup material is, the material still resonates, but in a different way) with insufficient or no damping material inside, and their closed backs give the sound nowhere to go but back through the transducers. Some of the EXPENSIVE closed headphones are just as underdamped as their cheaper cousins.

As far as the transducers used in closed headphones are concerned, had a headphone manufacturer designed a closed headphone to sound good in a properly damped closed headphone shell, they must use a transducer which would otherwise sound a bit too dark in an open-air headphone configuration; otherwise, the sound would become thin and bright. And such designing costs money. Undamped (or underdamped) closed headphones at every single price point are the norm given the desire to cut costs at the manufacturing level - and this underdamping allows the manufacturer to share the same transducers between open and closed headphones at the same price point. The end result is that in most cases, closed headphones simply don't sound quite as good as open headphones at competitive price points. On the other hand, vintage closed headphones don't sound very good, if only due to their poor design with expensive parts. And I do admit that closed headphones can equal or beat open headphones in sound quality - if done right.

In the end, I blame the cost-cutting at the headphone manufacturers, and not the inherent limitations of the closed headphone design, for the underperformance of closed headphones versus competitively priced open headphones.

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the end, I blame the cost-cutting at the headphone manufacturers, and not the inherent limitations of the closed headphone design, for the underperformance of closed headphones versus competitively priced open headphones.

x2

Blame the developers/designers for crappy sounding closed-back headphones. Cause if designed properly they can sound on par with open-back ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back